Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheels - 9" vs 8" Wide

Old 02-27-2009, 03:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels - 9" vs 8" Wide

Hello again to everyone!

This forum is a great source of information. I have learned a great deal from everyone posting. The only difficulties lie in searches... and knowing that you've done a good faith search before posting a new thread.

I haven't found much debate regarding 8" versus 9" wide wheels for an '08 JK Rubicon. So, I hope this post isn't a rehash of too many past threads.

I am seriously thinking about purchasing new wheels and tires. As of now, I am planning to purchase the new Goodyear MT/Rs with Kevlar (now available at Discount Tire) in a 35" diameter. Choosing the wheels has been a little more difficult. One of the variables is the size. I have been focused on 17" diameter and 9" wide. (Finding just the right style black wheel is the biggest challenge.)

I have read others post about 8" wide wheels and their acceptability. I have also read that 8" wheels with 35" tires might be pushing their limits.

I'd love to hear other opinions.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 02-27-2009, 03:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

either wheel will be just fine. I wheeled 35x12.5 on 8" wheels on my TJ for years with no issues.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

You will get better On road handling with the 9'' wide rim with the 12.5 wide tire
It all really comes down to which wheel you really want and is it available in 8'' or 9'' or both
Old 02-27-2009, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coltc2000
You will get better On road handling with the 9'' wide rim with the 12.5 wide tire
how? I get full tread of a 12.5 tire on the ground with 8" wheels. so with proper tire inflation what is the difference? Just asking because if there is a valid reason I am not aware of it.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do any rock crawling sort of stuff you might get 8" wide wheel to protect them a little more.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default jkkat... That's What I Was Thinking...

Originally Posted by jkkat
If you do any rock crawling sort of stuff you might get 8" wide wheel to protect them a little more.
Although the level of rock crawling will be tame for a while (there aren't too many canyons or much slickrock in Indiana), I do intend to spend more time out West in the future. Although there's the option of buying new wheels later... I would prefer to buy with the long term in mind.

Are there any draw-backs to running a 12.5" wide tire on an 8" wheel? It don't think it would; but, does it make a difference whether it is alloy or steel?

Thanks for all the great input.

Jeff
Old 02-27-2009, 05:49 AM
JK Super Freak

An 8" wheel will help keep the bead better with a 12.5 tire when aired down. The 9" will give a slightly wider appearance.

I'm using an 8" and no qualms what-so-ever.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

a 9'' actually allows more tread contact 10'' is the very best for a 12.5
remember a tire needs to wrap to fit the rim.
The rule use to be about 2'' narrower than tire.
8'' more hourglass shape sidewall 9'' more square sidewall
as for the wheel material steel is thinner,easier to repair easier to add wheel weights to.
alloy more choices, lighter weight usually not repairable if damaged

personally I run 8'' wheels with 12.5 tires for more wheel protection and alloys.

Last edited by coltc2000; 02-27-2009 at 06:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Wheels - 9" vs 8" Wide