Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels did'nt fit?

Old 01-04-2007, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels did'nt fit?

I just finished up installing a Rusty's 3.25 lift it went on smooth only took about 2 to 3 hours. Then I put on BGF M/T 35X12.50 16 on a American Racing 16x10 rim the Baja everything looks awsome. Then for the test ride right off noticed the rubbing, during the install I took off the brake calipers to make life a little easier instead of fooling with spring compressers so I thought maybe the brake pads were off a little, but I pulled back in the drive way and took off the front tire and low and behold the brake cailper is rubbing the rim, needs just about 1/8" to clear everything. Well I'm thinking about getting spacers tomorrow either 3/16 to 1/4 what ever I can find, or I can burr down a little off the brake cailper until it clears the rim. Has this happen to anyone else and what have you done to correct the problem? and by the way no matter how high you lift it you always want it little higher.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

hmm... Something's off there. There was a post where the lad put 15" rims and stated he had no issues. I can not recall if he required spacers or not. I will hunt around for that post, I can not remember which forum I read it on now. I shall post the link if I can find it
Old 01-04-2007, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Found it. It was indeed on this forum. With pictures and all. Maybe the only difference would be the backspacing of the rims. HTH

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/will-15-rims-fit-over-disc-brakes-1576/

Last edited by RubiconCheck; 01-04-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rims

I am running 33" with 8x16" rims, Baja's and have no problems at all.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

I dont know what the baja rim is, but it could be your rims design.

A lady in my club is in Neuroc (rockcrawling) they had issues with the calibers rubbing also.. and ended up grinding down the edge,,

same size rims as her other set...just a different design.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you Rubicon check. But it's not the outside edge of the rim its in the center were the bolt holes are there is about 1 1/4" of metal from the center of the 5 x 5 lug pattern that inside edge of the rim rubs the inner most part of the brake cailper
Old 01-04-2007, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DadsCJ
I am running 33" with 8x16" rims, Baja's and have no problems at all.
They are american racing right?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

Ponpeta,

You are probably really tied up with your wheel dilema right now. But what can you say about the Rusty's Lift so far..... Did it go on easily? How much adjusting of the Track Bars were needed? and Did you have to re-center your steering? Also how does the lift affect the forward rake?

Good luck with the calipers and I can't wait to hear a full review on how it drives!

My lift is waiting the garage!

Thanks.

Adam
Old 01-04-2007, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

How about some pics showing the inside of the rim where it is rubbing,,,what backspacing?

and I am still waiting for tires/rims to show up, I am with you that the lift is sitting on the work bench....and if you listen close late at night you can hear it calling my jeeps name.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by emorick
Ponpeta,

You are probably really tied up with your wheel dilema right now. But what can you say about the Rusty's Lift so far..... Did it go on easily? How much adjusting of the Track Bars were needed? and Did you have to re-center your steering? Also how does the lift affect the forward rake?

Good luck with the calipers and I can't wait to hear a full review on how it drives!

My lift is waiting the garage!

Thanks.

Adam
emorick
As far as the lift goes it was simple, only took about 2 to 3 hours with pneumatic tools I will line up the steering wheel up after I get the brake caliper dilemma fixed. Rusty's lift doesn't come with instructions but you really don't need them. Everything went right together, I did everything by myself and with a little help from a neighbor to put some weight on it to get the new springs to fit, the over all lift is 6 1/2" in the front and 5" in the rear that is also with 35" tires. The lift levels it out perfectly.

Quick Reply: Wheels did'nt fit?