Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why the difference?

Old 12-20-2007, 12:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the difference?

So, I'm going to get a budget boost for Christmas. Why do companies charge such vastly different prices for basically a plastic puck? I realize certain kits come with shocks, but even then, Rubicon Express is close to $500, while Teraflex and SkyJacker are $200 less.
So really, what is it, just the shock? Do some companies state their pucks are stiffer/softer/harder/less squeaky? Is there a decent comparo that I can't find using the search engine here?
Old 12-20-2007, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would say its just the shocks and no shocks. The other difference is probably that the different brand names, I dunno maybe some are laced with gold or gold plated. But IMO I would get the 2.5 TF BB from Northridge4x4 for like $225 with free shipping.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:35 PM
JK Junkie

It is the difference in Shocks. The $500 RE uses a high quality Monotube shock. I think Bilstien makes it for them. The Tera and Skyjacker use a cheaper twin tube shock. RE also makes a BB for 350 that has the twin tube shock too.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

If the question removes the shocks from the equation...lets say just the pucks themselves.....sure, you could probably get generic off the shelf body mounts in the right size, and buy the grade 8 hardware in the proper lengths, thicknesses and threads, etc, for less than $100.

Add in a few brackets, etc...sure, the parts might be less than $100 altogether.

You are paying about $100 to NOT have to run all over and reinvent the wheel.

You ARE paying for the convenience of someone ELSE doing the research, and actually GETTING all of these parts into a box for you. If that's worth ~ $100 for you...get the box.

If you don't think the extra $100 is worth it, go find the stuff and get it on your own. Lots of people do that, there's even write-ups some people have done to try to help out others wanting to make their own BL's too.

You can go on e-shocks and get the same shocks for less $ too most of the time...IF you know a model # to get, because obviously, its not a stock replacement part, etc.

So - Most of us are willing to trade money for time....The guys for example who just did their own Xterra BL's found they spent about $80 on parts, the kits online were about $190...so they saved a lot of $. It took an average of several weeks to hunt down the parts for most, some longer, etc.

No wrong answer - just what works for you.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TEEJ
If the question removes the shocks from the equation...lets say just the pucks themselves.....sure, you could probably get generic off the shelf body mounts in the right size, and buy the grade 8 hardware in the proper lengths, thicknesses and threads, etc, for less than $100.
...snip
Nah, I wasn't asking why they cost more than me machining the parts from scratch, etc, I was asking why the lift from Company X with similar parts can cost 50% less than the lift from Company Y.

Allow me to demonstrate. I have a fresh issue of Four Wheeler Magazine that I paid way too much for just to allow me some sanity as I sat at Dallas Ft Worth airport.
Rough Country 1.75" $129.00
Tuff Country 2" $159.95
SkyJacker 2.5" $299.00
Rubicon Express 2" $349.95 ($479.95 with monotube)
Superlift 2" $154.00

I'm sure that there are just as many examples at any number of our sponsors. So while monotube shocks are obviously more expensive, what makes up the difference in parts cost for the non-shock parts.

I'm still waiting for someone to toss out which one is best (of all of them, not just the ones I found in my short study of one magazine's ads).
Old 12-20-2007, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Capitalism - that, and inefficiencies in various company's supply outfits, IMO. You are buying brand names, so anything goes.

Is there really that much difference in polyurethane disc composition? Not really.

Quick Reply: Why the difference?