Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why disconnect the negative battery terminal when modding???

Old 09-06-2007, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by muddpuppy01
that statement is not even 50% right
It all depends on where you learned electronics. The Corps taught me that the electrons flow from Neg. to Pos. The public sector, ie.: tech schools and college, teaches from Pos. to Neg. I had to change my thinking a little but the rest is still the same, ie.: Ohm's law, Capacitance, Inductance.
Do you realize that electricity, as long as it's been around, is still all theory. We know what it does, but in general we don't know how it does it. College level course are still called AC or DC Theory.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Technically Speaking...

Originally Posted by zjnoob
Current flows from Negative to positive, so if you disconnect the negative terminal no current can flow.

If you only disconnect the positive terminal, there is a chance for current to flow from the negative terminal, all through out the jeeps electrical system, if the positive connector contacts any metal completing the circuit or "arcing".
In a DC system, current (electrons) flows from Negative to Positive. A DC circuit is simply a path that these electrons can take from from the Negative to Positive Poles of some sort of power source (in this case a 12v Battery) Disconnecting either of the connections at the battery will break the circuit and prevent electrons from flowing.

Our Jeeps as well as most modern 12v vehicles have a negative ground, which means that the Negative terminal of the battery is connected directly to the body & frame of the vehicle. Any connection between the Positive terminal and the Body or Frame of the vehicle will complete a circuit and electrons will flow. This will happen regardless of whether the Positive terminal of the battery is connected or not.

If however, you disconnect the Negative terminal of the battery, the body and frame are no longer grounded, so a connection between the Positive terminal and the body or frame will not complete a circuit.

--Edited for accuracy

Last edited by skydyvyr; 09-06-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:15 PM
gcg
JK Newbie

I was once told that it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by POTO
It all depends on where you learned electronics. The Corps taught me that the electrons flow from Neg. to Pos. The public sector, ie.: tech schools and college, teaches from Pos. to Neg. I had to change my thinking a little but the rest is still the same, ie.: Ohm's law, Capacitance, Inductance.
Do you realize that electricity, as long as it's been around, is still all theory. We know what it does, but in general we don't know how it does it. College level course are still called AC or DC Theory.
That is interesting... Of course I'm remembering my public sector (University of Washington) electrical theory courses from 20 years ago. I've probably forgotten more than I can remember about electricity tho-

A quick refresher bit of research on the web by using a popular search engine and the phrase 'how does a battery work' shows that electrons collect on the negative pole of the battey and flow to the Positive.

Positive and Negative poles of a battery reflect the flow of electrons within the battery: Positive --> Negative. Externally to the battery the electrons flow: Negative --> Positive

Last edited by skydyvyr; 09-06-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Actually it takes about 100-120mA to stop someones heart... not .1mA or 1A! If 1A hit you there would be no chance in hell you'd live haha. The most I've been shocked was with the 120V residential sockets. I was fixing one of my tv power cables and my hand accidentally touched the open wire i donno why it was even plug in... man that hurt! haha
Old 09-06-2007, 04:45 PM
JK Newbie

how about the simple answer instead of all you guys nuking the hell out of this:

You take it off so you don't get zapped when you smack your wrench into the body or something else when taking off the positive one resulting it at the least scaring the crap out of you and as the worse welding the wrench to whatever as it smokes and you run around looking for something to pry the now welded on wrench off the battery as it starts to GLOW red hot and end up standing on the front bumper and kicking it as hard as you can.

or you could leave both attached and find all sorts of levels of amusement when you drill threw or cut a live wire.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by usmcdoc14
how about the simple answer instead of all you guys nuking the hell out of this:

You take it off so you don't get zapped when you smack your wrench into the body or something else when taking off the positive one resulting it at the least scaring the crap out of you and as the worse welding the wrench to whatever as it smokes and you run around looking for something to pry the now welded on wrench off the battery as it starts to GLOW red hot and end up standing on the front bumper and kicking it as hard as you can.

or you could leave both attached and find all sorts of levels of amusement when you drill threw or cut a live wire.

Quick Reply: Why disconnect the negative battery terminal when modding???