JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   why so much hate for the body lift (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/why-so-much-hate-body-lift-175583/)

jtjk 04-27-2011 08:04 PM

why so much hate for the body lift

i have a 2.5 coil lift with 1 inch spacer lift ontop of that. to this i want to add a 2inch body lift. i want my jeep to be higher for looks and 37's one day. before i do this i just want to understand why everyone is no negative about the idea of a body lift.

jtjk 04-27-2011 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 2257675)
Its the gap that it leaves between the frame rails and the body. I think it looks gross :gak:

it just leaves gaps at the front and back bumper right? no were else

jksteve89 04-27-2011 08:13 PM

I have no problems with a 1 inch BL but I think any bigger than that is ugly looking leaving gaps between body and frame and such. There really isn't a purpose besides getting room for a bigger tire IMO. I would put a small spacer on top of the spring before getting a bigger body lift.

AMCJeff 04-27-2011 08:15 PM

Body bolts tend to come loose with body lifts. If you don't watch for it you can badly damage the body mounts. The bigger the body lift the more likely it is to happen. I would only go 1" body lift.

fadeout 04-27-2011 08:19 PM

a body lift is a non permanent solution for those looking to gain a little more room without adding a ton of suspension components into the mix, adjs track bars, driveshafts, bump stops, aka anything associated with raising your COG higher. none of these things are affected with a body lift and it can be reversed any given time.

Yes you get a gap but it's barely noticeable. The 2 inch might be a bit much I'd say go with a 1, or 1.25" and be safe. 2 inch can look gross imo.

SLVR07 04-27-2011 08:24 PM

It really is preference just like everything else on our jeeps. I have had a BL on a YJ and did not like it......that was my preference. One good thing about it is they don't cost much so if you put it on and don't like it your not out a bunch of money. Good luck with what ever way you go.

jtjk 04-27-2011 08:35 PM

ok then what if i was to add a 2.5 bb to my coil lift, would that then mean i would need longer shocks. i know it would likely mean new shafts

jksteve89 04-27-2011 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by jtjk (Post 2257746)
ok then what if i was to add a 2.5 bb to my coil lift, would that then mean i would need longer shocks. i know it would likely mean new shafts

May be longer shocks stock driveshafts (if thats what you have) would be a ticking time bomb if you did go to 37's.

08yellowx 04-27-2011 09:03 PM

Lift it right! nough said.

Mark Doiron 04-28-2011 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 2257800)
You have me curious, what is the right way?? Your signature says basically you took a little from here and there and pieced it together, what's the recipe??

I'm pretty certain he means if you want 5" or so of lift, then do it with a 4.5" coil lift, not (as questioned by someone in the thread) by stacking 2.5" spacers on top of a 2.5" coil lift. I agree.