Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

why so much hate for the body lift

Old 04-27-2011, 08:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why so much hate for the body lift

i have a 2.5 coil lift with 1 inch spacer lift ontop of that. to this i want to add a 2inch body lift. i want my jeep to be higher for looks and 37's one day. before i do this i just want to understand why everyone is no negative about the idea of a body lift.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Its the gap that it leaves between the frame rails and the body. I think it looks gross
it just leaves gaps at the front and back bumper right? no were else
Old 04-27-2011, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have no problems with a 1 inch BL but I think any bigger than that is ugly looking leaving gaps between body and frame and such. There really isn't a purpose besides getting room for a bigger tire IMO. I would put a small spacer on top of the spring before getting a bigger body lift.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Body bolts tend to come loose with body lifts. If you don't watch for it you can badly damage the body mounts. The bigger the body lift the more likely it is to happen. I would only go 1" body lift.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 PM
JK Junkie

a body lift is a non permanent solution for those looking to gain a little more room without adding a ton of suspension components into the mix, adjs track bars, driveshafts, bump stops, aka anything associated with raising your COG higher. none of these things are affected with a body lift and it can be reversed any given time.

Yes you get a gap but it's barely noticeable. The 2 inch might be a bit much I'd say go with a 1, or 1.25" and be safe. 2 inch can look gross imo.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:24 PM
JK Freak

It really is preference just like everything else on our jeeps. I have had a BL on a YJ and did not like it......that was my preference. One good thing about it is they don't cost much so if you put it on and don't like it your not out a bunch of money. Good luck with what ever way you go.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:35 PM
JK Super Freak

ok then what if i was to add a 2.5 bb to my coil lift, would that then mean i would need longer shocks. i know it would likely mean new shafts
Old 04-27-2011, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtjk
ok then what if i was to add a 2.5 bb to my coil lift, would that then mean i would need longer shocks. i know it would likely mean new shafts
May be longer shocks stock driveshafts (if thats what you have) would be a ticking time bomb if you did go to 37's.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lift it right! nough said.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:47 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You have me curious, what is the right way?? Your signature says basically you took a little from here and there and pieced it together, what's the recipe??
I'm pretty certain he means if you want 5" or so of lift, then do it with a 4.5" coil lift, not (as questioned by someone in the thread) by stacking 2.5" spacers on top of a 2.5" coil lift. I agree.

Quick Reply: why so much hate for the body lift