Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will adding 4" of bumpstop hurt offroad handling?

Old 12-25-2016, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will adding 4" of bumpstop hurt offroad handling?

I ordered the Synergy drag link flip kit to replace my worn drag link. In the directions it says I need to use 3" bumpstops in the front for 35" tires and 4" bumpstops for 37" tires.. I missed this in the description when I ordered it so that's the next thing I need to do to move forward with this project..

My concern is how little articulation I will have with the addition of a 4" bumpstop. I am on 35's currently but my next set of tires will be 37's so I want to go ahead and put the 4" stops in. From what I can tell, my cheapo rough country springs have sagged considerably in the front. Stock measurements show there should be 5.35" between the two measuring points they highlighted. Mine is sitting at 7.5"... So my 4" lift is giving me 2.15" of lift in the front.

If I add 4" bumpstops to keep the drag link from hitting the frame am I hurting the handling off-road? Will I notice a significant difference as compared to how it is setup currently? 4" seems like a huge amount of bumpstop to add. Just by eyeballing things it looks like I would be bashing those pretty hard on easy stuff.

I have the synergy drag link, track bar relocation bracket and frame side trackbar reinforcement, adjustable track bar and aftermarket stabilizer to install this week.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need 3" of bumpstop extension for the synergy (or any other I know of) high steer kit. This is regardless of what size ties you run tire size has no effect on whether the drag link will hit the frame or not.

They were probably referring to stock fender clearance. That's what would be affected by tire size.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:06 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

So my 4" lift is giving me 2.15" of lift in the front.
You do not need the flip for that height, just run the trackbar and draglink in the stock locations. If/when you go to taller coils, you can add the bumpstops and trackbar bracket and raise the draglink on the knuckle.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I should have mentioned in that same sentence that I will be changing the springs out as well.. Metal Cloak dual rate, so that will put me back up where I am supposed to be. Which is why I'm doing the flip kit..
Old 12-25-2016, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biginboca
You need 3" of bumpstop extension for the synergy (or any other I know of) high steer kit. This is regardless of what size ties you run tire size has no effect on whether the drag link will hit the frame or not.

They were probably referring to stock fender clearance. That's what would be affected by tire size.
This is from their installation pdf...

You must use a minimum 3” tall front bump stop extensions to prevent the track bar and draglink from hitting the bottom of the frame at full bump.
PPM-8057-30 (3”) and PPM-8057-40(4”) front bumpstops are available. 3” tall bumpstop spacers are recommend for using 35” tires and the 4” tall for 37” tires.
If I am running aftermarket flat fenders would I still need 4" of bumpstop?
Old 12-25-2016, 02:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Have someone notch the frame, run 3" bumpstops (or less...check your clearances).

Running more bumpstops = less up travel. Just run longer shocks, and throw some limit straps or coil retainers if you need them. You'll actually be able to run longer travel shocks.

Basically, you'll need to check clearances hands on. Jeeps vary. It's the same reason there's no "right" measurement for adjustable control arms; they just put starting points, and then you dial it in yourself.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waterboy222
This is from their installation pdf... If I am running aftermarket flat fenders would I still need 4" of bumpstop?
Hell no I run two inches of bumpstop of front with 37s and flat fenders. Tires don't rub and my shocks don't bottom out. My drag link is flipped but I notched my frame 1.5 inches to be able to run less bumpstop for more uptravel. Without a frame notch run 3" bumpstops and call it a day
Old 12-25-2016, 03:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

install the new coils and cycle your suspension, this is the only way to maximize your travel. Any other way is just guessing. About 90% of the lifted jeeps I see don't have the shocks and bump stops set up properly because people don't take the time to do it right.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:00 PM
JK Junkie

About 4" up front with 2.5" stop and 37's.

Quick Reply: Will adding 4" of bumpstop hurt offroad handling?