Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will a leveling kit give me a negative rake?

Old 01-29-2015, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a leveling kit give me a negative rake?

Hey all, I am a new jeep owner and want to give my ride a little lift and eventually get some 33's. I have been looking at the teraflex leveling kit, but i am worried that it will give me a negative rake. I tried measuring it, but i don't know where to measure, and can't seem to find any posts about this. I will attach a photo so you can see. Thank you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4588.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	594378
Old 01-29-2015, 01:56 PM
JK Freak

With the Teraflex level kit you have options. It adds two one inch spacers in the front and 1" to the rear. It more flattens out the rake rather than adding negative rake. You're used to what you have, so it may "seem" that you're pointing to the sky, but you really aren't.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:07 PM
JK Newbie

Oh ok, so the front won't end up higher than the rear? And if for some reason it does, would I be able to one do one 1 inch in the front rather than both?
Old 01-29-2015, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the leveling kit and it does not have a negative rake at all.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Positive/negative rake, or level stance, will depend on the specifics of 'your' jeep. Not someone elses. Any added weight to either end? Heavy bumper/winch up front. Bumper/carrier in back. Lots of tools in the back. Sagging coils at either end. Hard top or soft top. Kinda hard for us to do with a picture, you need to decide how much lift will work.

Teraflex has descriptions on their website:

Spacer leveling kit:
This leveling kit adds 2" to the front and 1" to the rear effectively leveling the 2 or 4 door's factory rake stance. The kit comes with front sway bar links.
Coil leveling kit:
This leveling kit includes a 2" front spring, and a 1" rear spring with longer front swaybar links.
And it doesn't state it, but I believe the 2.5" spacer budget boost is 2.5" front and 2" rear?
Old 01-29-2015, 03:08 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Js15jk
Oh ok, so the front won't end up higher than the rear? And if for some reason it does, would I be able to one do one 1 inch in the front rather than both?
The Teraflex leveling kit raises the front two inches and the rear one inch. If you only install one spacer in the front you will end up lifting the front and rear one inch which will not level anything, but just sit one inch taller with the factory rake.

If you're unsure just simply install one inch spacers up front and be done with it.

Last edited by Ncb; 01-29-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:10 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Perfectly level will result in a squatty or saggy rear end if you load the Jeep with gear and people. Not exactly practical.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ncb
Perfectly level will result in a squatty or saggy rear end if you load the Jeep with gear and people. Not exactly practical.
Exactly why the leveling kit doesn't make sense. The factory rake isn't an accident. The rake goes away when you have people and/or gear in the back. If you rarely have passengers or it's usually just one in the front - and you aren't hauling gear or adding new bumpers, then it works.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah a squatty back end is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I don't have any bumpers or winch. It's a stock sport right now. Is there any other lifts similar that won't do that?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Any of the 2" Budget Boost spacer lifts should work, 2" pucks on all corners instead of the taller front/shorter rear pucks in a leveling kit.

Quick Reply: Will a leveling kit give me a negative rake?