Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Will you run 38.5 tires?

Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will you run 38.5 tires?

Hi, I currently have 35" MT atz tires and want to jump to a larger size, I like the pitbull maddog but on my rim size (16) the next size up is 38.5. I currently have 4" long arms teraflex lift and a PSC steering assist, 4:88 gears, Dana 44 (c gusset and sleeved). Do you think I'll be ok with the larger size?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orko
Hi, I currently have 35" MT atz tires and want to jump to a larger size, I like the pitbull maddog but on my rim size (16) the next size up is 38.5. I currently have 4" long arms teraflex lift and a PSC steering assist, 4:88 gears, Dana 44 (c gusset and sleeved). Do you think I'll be ok with the larger size?
I think you'll be fine. Do you have the fenders cut or flat fenders that would help with articulation. I have 37s on 3.5 long arm with 44s and flat fender flares works well
Old 08-15-2012, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

Yes I do have the bushwacker flat fenders
Old 08-15-2012, 05:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

38.5 is a wierd size and i personally wouldn't run them because of it. if you ever needed a spare in a pinch, finding a replacement will be next to impossible. also, you really should look into getting front chromoly shafts with full circle clips as gussets and sleeves won't do anything to prevent a broken shaft and that's what's more likely to happen than a broken housing.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
38.5 is a wierd size and i personally wouldn't run them because of it. if you ever needed a spare in a pinch, finding a replacement will be next to impossible. also, you really should look into getting front chromoly shafts with full circle clips as gussets and sleeves won't do anything to prevent a broken shaft and that's what's more likely to happen than a broken housing.
I am finally ready to make the change, I have a couple of questions:

I will probably go with 37 tires, however I do not discard the possibility of running larger size in the future, do you have any suggestion on which type of "front chromoly shafts with full circle clips" to use? Also the rear one, is it a good idea to change it aswell?

I was thinking in upgrading the brakes aswell for the TF ones

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2012, 08:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very happy with my ten factory axles frt and rear. You can get the rears loaded from Dave at Northridge for a little more. Save you the hassle of swapping and u can keep the stockers for trail spares. Ten factory will actually warranty them, unlike the other guys, that'll give you long stories about the bent flanges are not covered and tough luck.

You can't go wrong with teraflex.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

So are you going to replace your wheels? 17's would probably be best for 37"+.

I had 33 X 16. When I moved up to 35's, I found that there weren't many tire size choices for 16". I went with 15's, though noticed for 37's I would need 17's.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by suicideking
So are you going to replace your wheels? 17's would probably be best for 37"+.

I had 33 X 16. When I moved up to 35's, I found that there weren't many tire size choices for 16". I went with 15's, though noticed for 37's I would need 17's.
I will keep my 16, I love to see more rubber, probably will go with traxxus m-16
Old 11-23-2012, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

Do you have any advice for the rear axle with factory locker?
Old 11-23-2012, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

Do you have any advice for the rear axle with factory locker?
Your rear 44 will be fine with 37" tires. For more piece of mind you can add some chromos in the rear also and you'll have a strong/capable rear D44

Quick Reply: Will you run 38.5 tires?