Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which winch?

Old 01-06-2015, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

smitty X20 10k comp over here
Old 01-06-2015, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had my Engo winch for 3 years and am very pleased with it. I've done several pulls with it and no problems. Got it from Chris at Jeep Addons and got a good deal on the mounting plate from him too. Used write ups on this forum for guidance to chop the bumper and mount the winch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1853 (800x450).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	590807
Old 01-06-2015, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would read 2 articles on the Expedition Portal page that really helped me decide what to get. Here are the links, the first is a review of 12k winches, but they discuss what you need and why, and the second is all about how to use what you have the right way. It may help you decide what you may need in the future based on what you're getting into.

http://expeditionportal.com/tug-of-w...2v-winch-test/

http://expeditionportal.com/winching...eview_id=24854

As for me, I just purchased an old Warn 8274 that I'm planning on doing a rebuild on. Can't wait to get her going!
Old 01-06-2015, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

My last Jeep was TJ and had a Warn 9.5 TI winch. It worked great but I am not sure I used it enough to justify the cost or for some life saving pull where another lesser winch would not have worked. I was not so impressed that I would say I had to have another. I wheel hard but not the stuff buggies go on or rigs with 40's.
I used my old winch on other people more than I ever needed it for me.
One wheeling buddy purchased a quadratech and he swears by it! I have looked at them and you can get a great buy on them and get synthetic lines included with a killer deal. Winches - Quadratec

I have never been a fan of their stuff, smittybuilt or other cheap shit but I may try it

Quick Reply: Which winch?