Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winch bumper offset with a 2.5 lift

Old 12-26-2012, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch bumper offset with a 2.5 lift

I have several parts that should be here tomorrow for my new 2013 JK.
I have a Rock Hard full width winch bumper (showing a shipping weight of 185 lbs), and already have a new Quadratec integrated solinoid winch showing a weight of about 95 pounds.
I have a Rough Country 2.5 spring lift. As a thought, I ordered 3/4 inch spacers for the front, as I suspect the nearly 300 lbs weight will drop the spring lift slightly.
Being lazy, and not wanting to do this install 2 times, has anyone else have any experiance doing this? Or am I just overthinking the whole thing, and just stab on the spring kit, without the 3/4 inch spacers?
I really want to hold it level when done.
Thoughts? Experiance?
Thanks!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would install the spacers from the get go. That's alot of extra nose weight. My RH stubby (80lbs) and Smitty XRC8 Comp winch w synthetic wrope (50lbs?) dropped my nose over an inch with a TF 2.5 lift. I now have a Rock Krawler 2.5 lift w progressive rate front springs. No more sag. Your gonna see ALOT of sag with the full width bumper/winch on RC springs. Probably much more than 3/4in once the springs settle.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

X2, install the spacer.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

What is a good spacer kit to use witha 2.5" lift?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:35 AM
JK Newbie

I picked up the front 3/4 inch spacers from Rough Country also.
I measured the height as stock. I will post how much drop the bumper and winch cause on the stock suspension, then install the lift the next day, and report the initial height. Later, I will recheck to see if it "settles", although I am not sure how long it takes to truely settle or sag.
It seems Rough Country lifts are hit and miss for some here. I put the same lift on my daughter's 2012 JK last year, and it worked great. So, we shall see.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Install the Rock Hard full width winch bumper today (love it!!).
On factory springs, the front dropped .7 of an inch at the fron axle centerline vertical. Will mount the winch tomorrow and report.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorfrey
Install the Rock Hard full width winch bumper today (love it!!).
On factory springs, the front dropped .7 of an inch at the fron axle centerline vertical. Will mount the winch tomorrow and report.
In just a matter of weeks, it will drop some more on it's own. .7 will become 1.2 if nothing else is done.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Follow up after adding the winch,fog lights, and D rings to the Rock Hard bumper.
Drop is now down 1.2 inches on the factory springs minutes after install.
My next move will be to open up all the boxes and put on the Rough Country 2.5 lift with 3/4 spring spacers in the front.
I also put on my 15 inch 33 TKO k2s, but allowed for the difference in tire diameters when I reported the drop.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

If your not happy with the Rough Country springs (excessive sag), you can order just the progressive rate Rock Krawler front 2.5 springs without having to order a whole lift kit. That's the cool thing w RK. You can buy individual components. No need to use spacers with these springs. RK takes extra weight into account with their lifts. Notice the tighter coils near the top (their upside down in pic).

Last edited by Topkicker1; 12-30-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most bumpers Ship in Cartons framed in 2X4's and Wrapped in Cardboard I doubt the bumper weighs that much. If it does that thing must be made of 1/4" steel or thicker. From what I have seen and from the Reps from RC on here they say they make the front lift higher for that purpose. But I do totally agree with if you dont like the way it sits get springs.

Quick Reply: Winch bumper offset with a 2.5 lift