Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch issue

Old 11-01-2010, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch issue

Hello FAM haven a problem with brand new winch.. I got the rugged ridge 8500lb electric winch and im going nuts cuz it wont turn on!! Im really hoping i installed wrong or something because im like a lil kid got winch days ago and want my new toy to work now!!! and not wait for RR or quadratec to send new one or something.

SO I Installed the winch on my NEW RR bumper conected control box ass shown on diagrams then wired strait to my battery.. (Min Battery required is 650 cca and mine is 880)

SO its all conected and i go turn jeep on and plug controler in waiting for controler light to go on and nothing. Clutch is in free spool so i tug on it a lil thinken maybe it has to go into gear or something and nope nothing.. disconected everything and then put right back together and nothing.

In install manual it states i must stretch cable out and re spool under tension at first i was thinking maybe i have to pull all cable out and itll click into gear or some ish idk im winch newbie... but then i thought wait what if it still dont work then im screwed...... ANY IDEAS????? I really hope im doing something stupid like overlooking an on/off switch.. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 02:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need to stretch the cable to get it to work or put it in gear it should work either way. Where/what did you ground it to?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:57 PM
JK Super Freak

You have to move the lever out of the freespool position I am pretty sure.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I tried it in free spool in and out.... Its ground to battery.. should i not ground it to battery maybe? I mean install says put on positive and neg of battery.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Its just fine grounded on the battery. Did it work at all or dead out of box? Do you have a volt meter?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

sounds like you did it right and it could possibly be a dead solenoid or fuse?
a winch typically only has 2 wires that are color-coded so i think it would be kinda difficult to F that up. does your control register that it is getting power? maybe spool some out if the motor is in a bind
Old 11-01-2010, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

i get nothing since i got it out of the box.. i really shoulda connected and teste before dropen it onto the bumper and routing the wires to the battery.. dont have a volt meter is there a fuse in the control box or hand held remote? Should i open the control box?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you using a remote with a cable? If so be sure that the remote is plugged in correctly to the solenoid. Most winches require that the plug for the remote is inserted and twisted into place. if you don't twist the remote won't work.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don’t have any experience with the RR winch but I have see a few on some pics that have been posted. I think that it has a remote control box right? It just mounts to the top of the winch? Connecting positive and negative directly to the battery is correct. Did it also have a small ground wire that needs to be grounded to the motor? Maybe 14 or 16 gauge? My warn has that ground wire on it. If that isn't the problem open up the control box and make sure all the electrical connections are tight. Like someone posted earlier make sure you have power to the winch with a volt meter. If you don't have a volt meter you can also use a volt probe, clip on the ground side and probe on the positive side. When going across the voltage the LED or small light bulb will turn on. It could also have a mis wire in the control box. The directions may also have a small schematic showing how it should be wired up. If everything looks good then it might have a bad solenoid. Maybe post some pics of the winch to get an idea of the set up.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

WHOOOOOLY ISH DUDE!!!! Whats you adress im about to send you some halloween candy!!! lmfaoo ITS ALIVE ALL I HADA DO Was turn CLockwise!!!!!! !!!!!! WOHOOOOOOO this is the reason why i love this forum!!!

Im out now gota go propel down a cliff and then winch myself up...

Quick Reply: Winch issue