Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch Issues

Old 11-28-2008, 07:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch Issues

I have a winch below in my Sig. Today I went to give a friend a hand pulling his bumper out after a fender bender. Winch worked fine until it got to about the last 6 feet of pulling it in after the tug. Then it started to slow right down. When I let go of the pay in button, I couldnt get it to spool anymore. I pulled it out manually and tried respooling...it started again slow and I got it all spooled in that way. The solenoids are clicking and I had a friend hitting the gas.

I havent had a chance to see if it is getting the proper voltage with a meter, and I am still running the stock battery and alternator. The electronics tech in me says it might be a voltage problem. Anyone ever run into this issue?

The winch hasnt been used often, maybe 5 times.

Thanks
T
Old 11-28-2008, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it a spooling issue? I know this may sound like a "duh" question, but if the line isn't on the drum neatly, sometimes it'll bind/pinch/reverse wrap. If that happens on your last wrap, it may bind between the drum and the housing.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:09 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by w squared
Is it a spooling issue? I know this may sound like a "duh" question, but if the line isn't on the drum neatly, sometimes it'll bind/pinch/reverse wrap. If that happens on your last wrap, it may bind between the drum and the housing.

Ya I thought that too, but when it started doing it, there was lots of room on the drum....thanks though man....
Old 11-28-2008, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a voltage/alternator/battery issue. Basicaly if your alternator is weak (stock or just old) and your battery is weak you can actually drain your battery with the vehicle running (including giving it gas). I honestly think now is the time to upgrade your battery/alternator. If push comes to shove go with a good battery first, something like an Optima or other sealed deep cycle.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:39 AM
JK Super Freak

I would say send it back to the idiot that installed it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by scbesse
I would say send it back to the idiot that installed it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate you.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:21 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
Sounds like a voltage/alternator/battery issue. Basicaly if your alternator is weak (stock or just old) and your battery is weak you can actually drain your battery with the vehicle running (including giving it gas). I honestly think now is the time to upgrade your battery/alternator. If push comes to shove go with a good battery first, something like an Optima or other sealed deep cycle.

thats kind of the direction I am going in. I will bring a meter home this weekend and see. Thanks
T
Old 11-28-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Before you go jumping off the deep end just throwin parts at it, check the SIMPLE stuff first. Loose grounds would be first on my list. If the winch was not loaded when you were spooling it in, then it is not going to pull much amperage at all. Even a weak battery or faulty alternator would likely run it good enough to spool properly. Make sure all connections are clean and tight. Don't just try to tighten them, REMOVE them and inspect the connection and make certain it's clean. It's usually the simple things.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 11-29-2008 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're checking grounds and the like, a can of brake cleaner and a small wire brush will make life easy.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:16 AM
JK Super Freak

If you get a yellow top, you probably don't have to upgrade your alternator, unless you're running a whole handful of stuff. However, upgrading both would eliminate a lot of problems. Don't ask how I know.

Quick Reply: Winch Issues