Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

To winch or not?

Old 03-02-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that a winch is much more important that bigger tires, lift, and a great many popular upgrades.

Please be sure to search for that vendor. They are owned by a major parts house and some have reported customer service issues with them. I personally think that a price hit can be worth it if you deal with a reputable vendor. Sure saving 10 or 15% can mean a lot when you make a purchase of this magnitude, but what will happen if you get a defective product? I'm not saying that the listed vendor wouldn't take care of you, just that you should be careful.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:36 AM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

I always go for quality/reliability with winch as one day it might became a life saving tool if things go wrong. And if not it´s always easier to sell someday.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeep08ham
It all depends on a person needs, "WANTS" and how much you want to spend. I retired this past year and have a new JK Unlimited Rubicon for the Colorado mountains that we spend 4-5 months a year in. I had an LoD bumper and Superwinch EPi 9 that I just installed yesterday on my birthday. I bought mine for peace of mind to me! If I can be of assistance to others that is great too. We do not do the hard rock crawling but do travel a lot of trails that you may not see anyone else for hours or even days. I like going prepared whenever possible.

Depending on others all of the time can wear thin with some people but most Jeep owners are willing to help another Jeep or other vehicle when needed.

Not to hijack the thread, but,... You said,...

My personal feelings are that those that depend on others all of the time is like people on welfare and depending on handouts from everyone else. Just my personal feelings.

I LOVE YOU , MAN!

Back on topic,... I agree, you might end up finding yourself in a bad situation or in a position where someone else needs help badly. If you can afford the peace of mind, why not? For me, I would rather have a "function thing" like a winch instead of a blaster stereo or some other "show thing".

You could also consider something like a "come along"

http://www.lug-all.com/pages/webstrapsmall.php

But damn those things don't always work and they are tedious to pull with.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

Ok - So let's say I get a winch (which is where I'm leaning at this point) - What's the best way to learn how to use it - and use it safely? I've heard lots of horror stories about lines snapping and things flying through windshields (and people). I've read all the threads about how to size it, etc so that's not an issue.

Thanks to all those who have replied - it's been a big help!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

I'm apt to going for the big boy the 12k for offroading situations. I just like having the extra piece of mind that goes with it. I'm going towards a Warn Powerhouse ( think thats its name). For the price of the 9500 you can get the HD and make it 12K, my $0.02.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:34 PM
JK Freak

my Mile Marker has been excellent. I have never needed it to recover myself, but it has been used to pull out other guys and to move a boulder out of the way of a XJ that was ready to roll over on it.

Not top of the line, but it has been great for me.

I would put the money into lockers first. With lockers you will need a winch a lot less. If you always go with others, a winch can be delayed until lockers are installed and money is plentyful. Remember, the cost of the winch does not include the winch plate or in the case of a JK, usually a bumper assembly which could double the price.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:37 PM
JK Freak

another thought...

Most of the time a winch is only needed to pull a few feet to get unstuck or over a boulder or to get just a little more traction.

Like I said before, lockers should be first, a strap, and a "come along" will do the trick in a bind. I carry one even with my winch.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

That would be the Warn Powerplant. Supposedly they work very well. I agree with you about Warn's Customer Service. I too had problems with their powder coating, and wrong hardware issues. They couldn't care less.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:36 PM
JK Newbie

Default Highlift jack

Get a good highlift jack that doubles as a winch/comealong. That's what I did first thing while I save for a winch, tires, lift, bumpers,..........................

Quick Reply: To winch or not?