Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Winch Review.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch Review.

I was wondering if anybody has tried an atlas winch by gregsmithequipment. They are currently selling a 9.5 winch with mounting plate and roller failead for $380. I have not herd of them until now and was wondering if anybody has tried them. It is series wound which is good. If it is no good then are there any other good budget winches. I would love to get a warn or a hydraulic mm but I do not have the $. Thanks for the info. gregsmithequipment.com/Winches-s/31.htm
Old 12-21-2007, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N2rock
Interesting! And good price!

I wonder how much they are going to charge for shipping though

Another good price is the Chicago Electrics 10,000lb for $399 (available thru Harbor Freight)- it comes with fairlead, but no mounting plate. I've read only positive comments on it.
are you sure about that? I just got the 8000# harbor freight (on sale for $299) and it came with a universal plate in a separate box. I had to do some cutting and drilling on the plate, but it bolted up just fine. Install is done except for trimming the stock bumper cover to fit neatly around it.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

i would go with this one:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
i have seen the atlas ones but have never heard a review on them. i have heard a lot of good things about the t-max winches. i just bought the wireless t-max and i am going to test it out here in about 2 weeks on the fordyce trail.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

pretty much the only difference is the price and the stickers, otherwise the same manufacture.

http://www.winchdepot.com/PDT282269.aspx
Old 12-21-2007, 05:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whe do people think $399 for a harbor freight china electric is a good price when a Ramsey can be bought for the same price and other options as well.

That so called winch shoot out was a farce to say the least. I took me 3 hours to load a full sized bronco onto a trailer with one of those HF deals. Had to stop and let it cool off. I couldn't find my snatch block which would have helped a lot, but that thing was slow without it.

Many of the chinese winches including the tmax come out of the same plant. Does't mean they are the same although some are.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ohhhh..................

I thought it said "Wench Review" and I was looking for women.........
Old 12-21-2007, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Blue
Whe do people think $399 for a harbor freight china electric is a good price when a Ramsey can be bought for the same price and other options as well.

That so called winch shoot out was a farce to say the least. I took me 3 hours to load a full sized bronco onto a trailer with one of those HF deals. Had to stop and let it cool off. I couldn't find my snatch block which would have helped a lot, but that thing was slow without it.

Many of the chinese winches including the tmax come out of the same plant. Does't mean they are the same although some are.
Would you mind posting the mdl of the one you bought?

Quick Reply: Winch Review.