Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Windshield mounted lights

Old 04-01-2008, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield mounted lights

I like the way the light look that are mounted to the windshield. I also like the ease of instilation but am concered about a few things. I am assuming that those light will get in the way of folding the windshield down? I would like to fold my windshield down every once in a while so if they do get in the way will I be able to make a quik disconect for the light so I can take them off easily? Thanks for the always usefull information.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

You'd need a quick way to disconnect the wires to each light. The brackets need to be removed to remove the lights, not sure how easy it would be. Might be easier to do with one brand of brackets than another if you can easily gain access to the Torx screws.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

The KC Highlights brackets mount to the windshield with the torx screws and would be fairly easy to remove, just one extra step considering what you go through to take the windshield down anyway.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds good thanks for the advise. For those of you that have them what kind of light are u useing floods, spots, driving...?
Old 04-03-2008, 03:29 AM
JK Freak

Here are some pics I shot the day I installed mine, I have Mopar brackets and PIAA 540's.......Two torx on the Mopars like the KC's have and the PIAA's have just a plug that seperates the light from the rest of the harness...

Old 04-03-2008, 03:31 AM
JK Freak

Actually now that I look at it you might just need to remove the lights only and leave the brackets with the Mopars.....MAYBE !!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pete799
I like the way the light look that are mounted to the windshield. I also like the ease of instilation but am concered about a few things. I am assuming that those light will get in the way of folding the windshield down? I would like to fold my windshield down every once in a while so if they do get in the way will I be able to make a quik disconect for the light so I can take them off easily? Thanks for the always usefull information.
Im not sure if you tried to fold the windshield down yet, but removing windshield lights will be the least of your concern. Either way your looking at 30 minutes MINIMUM to fold it down, and just as long to put it back up. Moving the lights would be, by far, the easiest and fastest part of the whole process anyways.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have not tried to fold the windshield down yet. It's still too cold out here in Montana. Is the windshield torx the same size as the doors?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pete799
I have not tried to fold the windshield down yet. It's still too cold out here in Montana. Is the windshield torx the same size as the doors?
If i remember you need several size torx, several size sockets, and alot of time and patience. I started to do it one day, got about half way through and decided its not worth the trouble.

Quick Reply: Windshield mounted lights