Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wine sound with gears?

Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have worked with G2 gears and have never had a complaint. I agree you should take it back. You could request a picture of the contact pattern to make sure there set up properly. Make sure the pinion nut is tight because if there is any play at all in the pinion shaft or bearings you'll get a whine. From my experience this would be more prevalent on deceleration, but its worth a shot. Grab the yoke and try to move it up and down.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get gear whine when it's cold. That's the only time.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
Old 03-16-2013, 07:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by devwil68
I have a 13' jk with 37s and 2nd set of G2 4.88s in the rear. I am getting a wining noise when under acceleration, and when all the torque comes off the gears from the driveshaft, sound goes away. Started when around the 3.5 hr mark of a roadtrip to NM coming into a small town and came off of cruise control from 67ish mph. I have not reached 70mph. About 500ish miles on gears after 2 sessions of the 20 mile 50mph breakin.

Is this normal or common?
Doesn't sound good. Hope it doesn't leave you stranded because so a bad install. Le us know how it turns out.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Any update?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just got back home from the trip...the second set of gears is due to the first having a crazy loud wine!

the wine this time did not get any worse....honestly, when im driving...it kind-of gets lost in the tire noise. And the vibration from the tires does not help. Jeep Outfitters in Burleson, Tx did the install...they said that they did adjust the lash in it the second time around. I think I am paranoid a little from the first go around because it was so loud. I think all is well with the guts of the jeep...but will keep you updated if anything else comes about.

Thanks for all the replies guys! And i guess i will just make due with this little D44 and see what happens when i can get my hands on a D60...well, at least thats what im hoping for!

Here is a pic from the Trip!

HIGH MOUNTAIN ROAD

PIT STOP

RIO GRANDE
Old 03-21-2013, 04:01 PM
JK Freak

If it's that faint it might be paranoia lol. I just did my gears and I think I'm hearing a very faint whine but I'm pretty sure it's the tires, the contact pattern was perfect and the guy that helped me has done a ton of gear sets. If you want jack up the truck and crack the case and re check the contact

Quick Reply: Wine sound with gears?