Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

wobble!?

Old 10-15-2009, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wobble!?

Ok, I have replaced two steering stabilizers in the past 2 years. I finally bought a Fox racing one for $294.00 and it has worked great. What would be causing the steering wheel and front end to start to go bananas when I go voer a group ogf bumps while driving on the street? Seriously, if this isn't fixed I hate to say it but I may sell my Jeep and start over. Thanks and hope someone has an answer soon.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:32 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

a steering stabilzer will only mask or hide whatever problems you have causing your wobble - it will NOT fix it. wobbling like you have described is almost always a track bar related problem. more than likely, you have a mounting bolt that is not tightend to 125-130 ft lbs of torque. or, you might have a bushing that is going bad, a mount hole that has been wollowed out or worse, a mount that is begining to fail.

having said all that, there are a few things that can instigate your wobble the most common of which would be worn out ball joints, a toe that is off or a lack of caster.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Track bar. Or the other major cause if this is the diffrence in angle of the track bar and the drag link. The should be parallel to each other. You may need drag link flip and a frame mounted track bar bracket.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Haven't they made enough Jeeps and lift kits to get rid of the "Death Wobble" yet. I went through that on the last Jeep. Can't someone make an Anti Death Wobble kit with all the components that usually cause the wobble so we don't have to deal with it.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your steering wheel actually moving when going over bumps or is it just felt?
Old 10-16-2009, 06:52 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

I would look at the front Track Bar bolt o the diff side. We have seen alot loosen up. Factory or Aftermarket.

Gerry
Old 10-16-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Probably 99% of all wobbles like this are track bar related. I'd be gettin the magnifying glass out.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SAJeepthing
Haven't they made enough Jeeps and lift kits to get rid of the "Death Wobble" yet. I went through that on the last Jeep. Can't someone make an Anti Death Wobble kit with all the components that usually cause the wobble so we don't have to deal with it.
If every Jeep weighed the same (i.e. aftermarket bumpers, skid plates, hardtop/softtop,...).
Old 10-16-2009, 06:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Sometimes all the terms blend together,...

Old 10-16-2009, 06:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcan
Sometimes all the terms blend together,...

that's a handy pic!!! THANKS.

I've started to develop what I guess is bump steer wobble. I'm going to start off with an alignment and also retorque bolts.

THANKS!

Quick Reply: wobble!?