Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another roll cage thread

Old 03-01-2014, 04:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pontiac31
I also found a fab company name KMA Fabrication that has a few JK's on their site with custom cages that look pretty good. I am currently waiting on more info.... Has anyone seen their work in person? or heard of them?
http://www.kmafabrication.com/galler...galleryid=7507
I'd say give them a call. After googling it for you it looks interesting. Only thing is there would be additional cost associated with the welding.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I have looked at all their photos on the web page. The welding isn't an issue.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That recently mentioned item.... looks a bit shady to me. The website failed to list tube size, type, show attachment methods and locations.... and I don't see a whole lot to triangulation in that thing.

I guess, if the starting material is good, it might be something to work with, but at that point, you might as well just do it yourself. Sounds like you have a welder, just need a bender, notcher, and some imagination. My guess is you'd actually save money buying the material at the yard yourself, the only thing that would screw up that equation is the additional bender/notcher.... but if you can see further uses, it's an easy purchase (assuming funds are in line).
Old 03-01-2014, 08:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ABENDX
That recently mentioned item.... looks a bit shady to me. The website failed to list tube size, type, show attachment methods and locations.... and I don't see a whole lot to triangulation in that thing.

I guess, if the starting material is good, it might be something to work with, but at that point, you might as well just do it yourself. Sounds like you have a welder, just need a bender, notcher, and some imagination. My guess is you'd actually save money buying the material at the yard yourself, the only thing that would screw up that equation is the additional bender/notcher.... but if you can see further uses, it's an easy purchase (assuming funds are in line).
It looks like a pretty basic sport cage designed to supplement the factory cage, similar to the rock hard cage. It also looks like a small company and the website is lacking a lot of info and the pictures aren't the best. I just sent them an email asking a few questions about the tubing and connection points, I'll relay what they send me.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JE8154
It looks like a pretty basic sport cage designed to supplement the factory cage, similar to the rock hard cage. It also looks like a small company and the website is lacking a lot of info and the pictures aren't the best. I just sent them an email asking a few questions about the tubing and connection points, I'll relay what they send me.
Very cool... looking forward to what they say. I know a few years back, they had a thread on the product in a different forum.

To me, being weld in and going to the floor puts this one on a MUCH higher level than a bolt in.... that being said, I don't see a whole bunch of anything beyond the standard bolt in sport cage based upon what I can see.

My thoughts are, if you are doing this to either look cool or just have some basic protection in addition to stock, go sport... if you want a real cage that offers real protection and are going to start modifying the interior/tub/dash to do so... you might as well do it right and not use one of these as a basis as they make too many compromises for packaging reasons (or so I hope that is the reason).

Maybe I am wrong and they got it right.... just cynical as the less info someone puts out, the less they usually want you to know (or be proud of).
Old 03-01-2014, 10:16 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Very cool... looking forward to what they say. I know a few years back, they had a thread on the product in a different forum.

To me, being weld in and going to the floor puts this one on a MUCH higher level than a bolt in.... that being said, I don't see a whole bunch of anything beyond the standard bolt in sport cage based upon what I can see.

My thoughts are, if you are doing this to either look cool or just have some basic protection in addition to stock, go sport... if you want a real cage that offers real protection and are going to start modifying the interior/tub/dash to do so... you might as well do it right and not use one of these as a basis as they make too many compromises for packaging reasons (or so I hope that is the reason).

Maybe I am wrong and they got it right.... just cynical as the less info someone puts out, the less they usually want you to know (or be proud of).
Well I got a response... They don't make the sport cage anymore. So there goes that option.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Former Vendor

To the OP, are you looking to do the install yourself or are you looking to have someone take care of it?

I like the Synergy option as it is fairly inexpensive and looks to be strong.

You could also do what Abendx has said and bend up a custom cage for yourself. The other option is to find someone doing custom roll cage work.

RollCageGuy.com -- Custom Roll Cages

This guy is located in Ohio so he isn't to far from you. Granted he does sports cars but it might be worth a shot giving him a call. He may be willing to work up a functional design for your Jeep with you.

I have seen his work in cars and it is nice so I can at least attest to that.

We have also worked with another guy that is located in Stroudsburg PA.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

i really like the looks of the river raiders weld in cage, as for function i have no input. I was thinking about getting one and just slapping it in quick when i raptor line my tub since the interior is going to be apart already, even though i only offroad mildy and have no need for it really. my dad used to own a welding business and i went to school for welding and metal fab, skill and equipment around my house is in no shortage
Old 03-01-2014, 11:47 PM
JK Newbie

Just FYI. The Rock Hard cage is very well made and I have heard several incidents where jeeps rolled and the cage held up. If you have a hard top you will have to trim some of the Freedom panel where the knuckle attaches. The trimming is all inside and does not effect exterior.
The following users liked this post:
DaOrigJZ (05-24-2022)
Old 03-02-2014, 01:44 PM
JK Freak

I am looking for function not aesthetics. I have two sons and want the protection. I want something I can install. A good friend is a welder for GE. And I have had two major suspension companies say his welding looks robotic it is so good.

The rock hard is nice but I really dont like the giant knuckles everywhere.

Quick Reply: Yet another roll cage thread