Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

You Guys Were Right - That Sound Deadening Stuff Sucks To Remove!

Old 08-01-2011, 05:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You Guys Were Right - That Sound Deadening Stuff Sucks To Remove!

Holy crap that was a pain and I only got the cargo area scraped down!

Starting to prep the Jeep to line the interior. 99% sure I'm going to Raptor line it. The closest Line-X shop is over an hour away and they told me pretty much that I would have to prep everything myself (which I planned on anyway) but that they could only provide 4 hours max of time due to "weekly contract work"... Sounded like they just didn't want the work...

Then after reading decent reviews of Speedliner I found a dealer right in my town. Made an appointment with one of the guys to check everything out and give me a better estimate and he blew me off at his own shop! No call back or anything!

So since I was going to prep everything anyway, I may as well wait for a weekend of solid weather and spend the couple hours left to spray it myself. I've read enough thread on the Raptor liner to feel good about it. And for less than 1/2 the cost of the others I'm willing to take the chance on the DIY kit.

Sorry, rant over...
Old 08-01-2011, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

For a bad economy people sure don't seem to want paying customers anymore. I have had several similar experiences recently.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
JK Super Freak

you'll be happy with the raptor liner Jay
Old 08-01-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't get it. I understand its a lot of work, but for someone to basically deny a customer who is willing to pay them $$ for a service it just doesn't make sense. I'm definitely not going to loose sleep over it, just a shame that a business would look at and treat a customer that way.

Originally Posted by JdTms11
you'll be happy with the raptor liner Jay
Thanks Jud. I'm pretty sure I'll be very happy with it. Found the kit for about $110 shipped. Now just have to finish prepping and wait for the weather.
.. And of course make mine look better than yours since I'm taking the time to take out the sound goop before I spray over it!

Last edited by WhiskyPirate; 08-01-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by WhiskyPirate
Holy crap that was a pain and I only got the cargo area scraped down!
Try a heat gun a puddy knife. Another forum member down the road from me found an easy way by accident(storm+no doors and top=water in footwells). Fill the footwell area up with water and let it sit for a bit, he used a puddy knife and it came right off.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Has anyone tried the new dremel or craftsman tool? Can't recall the name at this second but it's not the rotary one. Seems like it should work like a champ!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk

People use air chisels to take this goop up, you just have to prime and paint over it so you don't create a potential rust spot.
Yea, I've read that on a few threads but have noticed it can be a little risky. Some have chiseled holes in the tub. I'm probably going to buy one of the those tools (can't think of the name to save my life) and see how it does. We'll know if it works in the upcoming days/weeks when I get time to do it.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:32 AM
JK Newbie

I'm very happy with Speedliner. I just had it sprayed right over the sound deadening/heat shield/caulk/whatever-it-is. Looks fine to me.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:46 AM
JK Newbie

In my RX7 to remove the tar/sound deadening all I had to do was get some dry ice (welders or shipping companies) crush it up and pack it in over the sound deadening. Strick it with a hammer about 10 minutes later and it should pop right off smoothly. Then use a shop vac to clean it up. I will be trying this as soon as I get my garage done and a place to work.

-Mallow
Old 08-02-2011, 03:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Wouldn't hurt to own an air chisel but since I'm about 1/2 way done with scraping this junk out I'm just going to roll with it by hand.

I am a little hesitant to let water sit in the tub for too long to break it up. I've seen what it looks like on here from other guys that have had the water trapped in there and it definitely rusts from the inside. Probably would be the perfect trick for someone doing this right out of the dealer before they get water in there.

Quick Reply: You Guys Were Right - That Sound Deadening Stuff Sucks To Remove!