Notices
New England If you live in the New England area (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Build Advice

Old 11-19-2011, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sneck
my wife keeps threatening to buy me an orange grill, so I'm sure one day it'll get replaced. besides, it's nice to have a mirror handy when working on the jeep

next bit of chrome to go will prolly be the fuel cover and the light guards.
Bedline your grill instead of getting a new one. It will go with the rims and now that you no longer have chrome!! Just sand it down and shoot it with some bedliner. I used some 3m truck spray on bedliner and it came out great. You won't regret it!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111119_190038.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	239031
Old 11-19-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

yeah I saw some folks with mango tangos at huntington with bed lined grills, to be honest I didn't like it as much as i thought i would. if only i hadnt seen them, i might have done it; but i honestly prefer the chrome to the bedline, on the orange anyways. but i am starting to like the look of the pure orange
Old 11-19-2011, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jae Suite

Tater where you been hiding
In the good ole town of groton... for a while the app hasn't been working on my phone so I uninstalled it today and reinstalled and now it seems good. Been looking at some RK and Clayton stuff tonight like control arms and such. Figurin out some prices.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

yeah I saw some folks with mango tangos at huntington with bed lined grills, to be honest I didn't like it as much as i thought i would. if only i hadnt seen them, i might have done it; but i honestly prefer the chrome to the bedline, on the orange anyways. but i am starting to like the look of the pure orange
Fair enough. I love the orange as well.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jae Suite

Nice, both are great, think RK is cheaper price wise.
If you wanna see Clayton stuff in person before you buy it, their shop is in waterbury, when I brought my jeep it get gears installed they showed me everything, how they make it, finished product, etc.

Might be worth the trip
Old 11-20-2011, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

and of course, my wife attempted to go offroading with her scion, and destroyed her tires, so we are getting her some 17's and some nice new rubbers. for some reason when I tried to add on my tires and wheels as well, she got really upset. I just don't get women.
Hey it wasn't offroading. It's called "boston road construction." Cry more at not getting new wheels yet! /wiferage.

But oh man, seeing him say that the orange is growing on him is awesome. Time to do some crazy internet searching to try to find an orange grille. I saw one on ebay 2 weeks ago for like $100... should've gotten it when I had the chance...

Last edited by zipperz; 11-20-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:34 AM
JK Super Freak

so i finally got some new lower control arms on, got the steering stabilizer and relocation bracket, did a new front track bar and a track bar relocator on the back (was feeling lazy and didnt put the new rear trackbar on). So yay, got the hard stuff done.

in hopes that this spring i will get new tires, specifically some 37s, I want to start building out a todo list. I'm not going to regear yet, so I'm hoping a new tire carrier and some c-gussets will be all that I need. Because I have no welding skill at all, I'll need someone else to do it. Is it worth it to bring my jeep to a 4x4 shop and have them do it? I figure if I do that, I can have them do an alignment while their at it, just to make sure everything is all nice and kosher.

also, any ideas on the absolute cheapest way to do the tire carrier? I was thinking the AEV re-enforcement brackets with the smittybuilt oversized tire carrier
Old 12-05-2011, 04:44 AM
JK Freak

so i finally got some new lower control arms on, got the steering stabilizer and relocation bracket, did a new front track bar and a track bar relocator on the back (was feeling lazy and didnt put the new rear trackbar on). So yay, got the hard stuff done.

in hopes that this spring i will get new tires, specifically some 37s, I want to start building out a todo list. I'm not going to regear yet, so I'm hoping a new tire carrier and some c-gussets will be all that I need. Because I have no welding skill at all, I'll need someone else to do it. Is it worth it to bring my jeep to a 4x4 shop and have them do it? I figure if I do that, I can have them do an alignment while their at it, just to make sure everything is all nice and kosher.

also, any ideas on the absolute cheapest way to do the tire carrier? I was thinking the AEV re-enforcement brackets with the smittybuilt oversized tire carrier
Check with beast beastly he made his own came out real nice or you could do one like mine...but that's a little more committed!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HeatTreater
Check with beast beastly he made his own came out real nice or you could do one like mine...but that's a little more committed!
heh I would do it like yours (I would love to do the buggy style slant back carrier, but then I would need a fast back roof, and the costs justs keeps going up! Either way, I need a swing away carrier since the dogs need to fit in the back!
Old 12-05-2011, 05:35 AM
JK Super Freak

like I said, my initial cheapass idea is to combine http://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_1001.htm with http://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_2001_07.htm to try to allieviate some of the sagging issues, but I also really like the idea of doing a bumper delete, and trying to either fab or get my hands on some brackets to run http://www.quadratec.com/products/12052_910_07.htm if I got some measurements too, i'd try to get some d-ring mounts like what you'd have on the front as well for a nice completed look.

I might also just save my pennies and get the or-fab carrier, since it's one of my favorites

Quick Reply: Build Advice