Notices
New England If you live in the New England area (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Do NOT go to Papa's Jeep!

Old 06-18-2009, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do NOT go to Papa's Jeep!

Just want to share an experience with you. As some of you know I am chasing a vibration issue on my Jeep. I brought it to Papa's Jeep in New Britain, CT and they flat out refused to touch it when they saw it was lifted. I mean that very literally, the Jeep was not even moved from where I parked it. I talked to the service manager and he said they will not work on Jeeps that are modified. If you need work done my suggestion is to find a dealership that is more… cooperative, such as Gengras in East Hartford.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

that isnt right theres laws that protect the consumer against stuff like that no? they have to prove that the mod caused the problem
Old 06-19-2009, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

It all depends on how much of a jerk the Dealer wants to be. Yes, they have to prove that the mod created the problem. However, there's alot of ways to look at that. Let's say the vibration is caused by a worn down u-joint, they can say that you put bigger tires on which in turn made you give it more power which put more stress then neccesary on the drive shaft which in turn puts more stress on the u-joints causing premature excessive wear. Is it right that they do that, no. When I bought my TJ the service manager at Bertera's told me that if I did any mods, he would void all of my warranties. Lucky for me, they do have a new service manager who isn't quite as strict.

Last edited by Shadowman890; 06-19-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

yeah gengras is much better, i brought mine in b/c i was having power steering issues (they also fixed my EGR w/ out my asking) all under warranty. the service guy even said 20% of the jeeps that they see are as modified of even more so than mine. best dealer in NE IMO
Old 06-20-2009, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes the Magnuson-Moss act says that mods do not void your warranty and it is the owness of the dealership to prove that any mods have cause the damage to the vehicle. I guess Papa's Jeep's logic is that if they don't touch it, it is not their problem, nice customer service.

So far the guys at Gengras have been decent. I have to bring it back on stock tires and bring the orignal F/R DS's. They are going to put them back on to see if the vibration goes away. At least they are working with me on it!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:20 AM
JK Freak

If you search the forums you will find my horror stories from papa's. When I went through lemon law I found out my Jeep was broken into on their lot. The steering collom (sp?) was broken and key ignition was replaced before I ever bought it and they never told me. They are the biggest assholes on the face of the planet.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

i buy all my mopar products from Chrysler, have a great dealer relationship....

that being said, i take my service issues to bradshaws
Old 06-21-2009, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have no experience with Papas service department. I have done all my
schedule service, oil filter changes, diff fluids when adding SOLID covers, etc
myself.
When i purchased my JK from them, they had what I wanted on the lot, they were decent as far as dealerships where concerned.
Then to my surprise they sent me a check for $1100. I called to see what that was for, and they had "forgotten" to factor in the rebate into the paperwork.

THey must have to file all of the paperwork with DC and they caught it, not Papas....
I asked about mods when I bought it and the answer I got, through the sales mangaer, through the service manager, through regional Chrysler was
"unless it is MOPAR installed by dealer it voids your warranty"
Well we all know that is BS, but that is their attitude, and it was just reinforced
by CT Rubi's experience.
Hopefully CT Rubi will have a positive outcome with Gengras being
mod friendly,
as for me they are about the same distance away as Papas.

Quick Reply: Do NOT go to Papa's Jeep!