Notices
New England If you live in the New England area (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Maine lift laws regarding ABS - clarified, I hope

Old 04-22-2010, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maine lift laws regarding ABS - clarified, I hope

As a Maine resident considering a lift for my JK, I've done lots of reading on the 'net about this topic recently, and there seems to be some confusion about what's allowed and what isn't, especially with respect to vehicles with anti-lock braking systems (ABS). I've read on other sites that you may not modify any Maine-registered, ABS equipped vehicle at all. I don't think this is true.

I'm not a legal expert so take it all with a grain of whatever but I'm looking at the Maine Inspection Manual directly on the state of Maine web site:

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/license...nspection.html

It contains a link to the manual in PDF format. The document is dated Dec. 15, 2006. Laws may have changed since then.

I think some of the confusion comes from people reading that the body may not be lifted on an ABS equipped vehicle, and interpreting that as any lift -- i.e. not differentiating it from a suspension lift.

Page 66 of the PDF (at least in the version online today, 4-22-2010, with a publication datea of 12/15/2006), which by the way is printed as page 25 on the actual page, states:

(6) Suspension lifts are permitted if they are manufactured by an
after market manufacturer, are designed for the make and
model vehicle on which they are installed, and if the kit is
installed according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
The entire kit must be used.

and goes on to say

(8) Body lifts are permitted on any vehicle that is not equipped
with an anti*lock braking system, provided that they are
manufactured by an after market manufacturer, are designed
for the make and model vehicle on which they are installed,
and the kit is installed according to the manufacturer’s
recommendations.

So there you have it. That's pretty clear. No body lifts with ABS, but suspension lifts are okay, within the constrains noted.

Regarding tires:

(k) Reject vehicle if it is equipped with tires that are more
than 2 sizes larger or smaller than manufacturer’s
recommended tire sizes, or if any tire change results
in more than a two *inch change in overall tire
diameter. Note: A tire specification guide or the formula provided in
the appendix may be helpful in determining tire diameter and
the recommended sizes for a specific vehicle.

Of course I wonder if the "recommended sizes" means "the size posted on the sticker on the door, i.e. the tire that originally came with the vehicle" -- or "the range of tires offered by the mfr, stock or optional, on the vehicle"

And:

(m) If the size of any tire is changed beyond the range of
tires recommended by the manufacturer on a vehicle
that is equipped with an anti*lock braking system, the
vehicle’s computer and/or other appropriate
components must be changed, re*programmed or
modified so that the vehicle is synchronized to the
new tire size. This change must be documented, and
that documentation must be kept with the vehicle.
The documentation must include, at a minimum:
(1) The date of the alteration.
(2) The original and replacement tire sizes; and
(3) The name of the person who performed the re*
calibration or re*synchronization.

There ya go! Aside from that remaining question about the definition of "recommended tire sizes", I see this as good news, I think.

Now I'll proceed with my lift plans...!

Again please don't take this as absolute law; it's just my interpretation, but it's the best I've sound so far.

Last edited by mostlystock; 04-22-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added document's publication date
Old 04-22-2010, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

I think your right on there! I've never had any problems with the tire size laws. I ran 35's on my last JK, and just switched it over to the stockers to get it inspected. (Which of course is illegal). I was stopped by a statie and he just told me how sweet my Jeep looked.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

didnt ME just start allowing oversized tires in last year or two?
Old 04-22-2010, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mewaschuk
didnt ME just start allowing oversized tires in last year or two?
Not sure. That document I referred to is dated Dec. 15, 2006, so things certainly could have changed. Will do more digging.

Last edited by mostlystock; 04-23-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Manufacturers recomended tire size for the JK with "FACTORY" 4.5" lift kit installed is 35". So that would mean you could go 2 sizes bigger than that. Remember when/ if asked - it is a dealer installed option from the factory. NOT aftermarket. They can't tell the difference if you have the factory kit or the aftermarket.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
Remember when/ if asked - it is a dealer installed option from the factory. NOT aftermarket. They can't tell the difference if you have the factory kit or the aftermarket.
That's a great point. There's nothing to say the dealer didn't install the 32-inch optional package ("24S" as I think another forum reader mention) after my JK arrived at the dealer.

I spoke with 2 local garages and even someone at the DMV (who sounded like he actually had a clue and was helpful, or at least willing to help), and all three places had different interpretations of the law. I even had to educate one garage about how tire mods on ABS equipped vehicles ARE allowed. I read him the text from the inspection manual; he had been under the (incorrect) impression that you couldn't mod ABS vehicles. In Maine, you MAY (as of the Dec. 2006 doc), but you just have to reprogram the computer and document/date/etc. the changes.

Anyway, the interesting "takeaway" is that both garages basically said that what they look at is frame height, not specifically the tire sizing. With what the garages get paid for an inspection, I can't say I blame them... this process must be a money-losing PITA for the garages (unless they can get the repair business for fixing vehicles they fail). The fee is $12.50

Given that the wording in the inspection manuals is so vague and that 32" is a factory option for the JK, I feel comfortable enough going with 32 or 33 now (the max I want). The vague terms work for me and against me (I interpret my way, but garage also interprets their way). I'll take my chances. Time to get on with the build.

Quick Reply: Maine lift laws regarding ABS - clarified, I hope