Notices
New England If you live in the New England area (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Power Lines

Old 08-02-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Lines

Maybe a stupid question, but is it legal to drive on trails where there are power lines? Obviously if there's a gate and signs up you can't. But Driving on Rt 146 in the Lincoln/North Smithfield area, across from the weigh station, there is a trail down to the right. Every time I'm up that way I'm tempted to turn down it.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:18 AM
JK Freak

I don't think its technically legal, but I go beat around on powerlines from time to time and have never got in trouble. Around here (NC) they ended up getting eroded pretty bad so now the cops keep an eye out. I've actually brought guns out there to screw around with and been seen doing it, cops didn't seen to mind though.

I'd just stay off the ones that are gated or signed, but TECHNICALLY no, I don't think its legal.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
I'm pretty sure all powerlines in MA are illegal to wheel unless you have permission from the landower(s). I'm not positvie but I've been told by many people that most powerline land is privately owned either by one person or property abutters. If not privately owned than its owned by the State or a utility compnay which would definitley make it illegal. In all cases, where you don't have permission, you would be tresspassing.

If this is not the case, I have about 2 dozen powerline trails down by my house that I would love to run....LOL!!!
X2. Hes correct. Ony legal wheeling in MA is on private land (for Jeeps that is anways)
Since MA is full of nothing but a bunch of wheeling nazis, i would usually take a trip up to NH as theres alot of legal offroad trails availble
Checked out exploringnh.com if your interested

Last edited by Croce; 08-02-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X3. Also now the state of MA requires an additional registration fee/sticker similar to ATV's. And some trails are being patrolled for compliance. I think since it's still a new law, not many know about it including cops and judges.

Last edited by renpia; 08-02-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Thanks guys. I was told by a Sgt @ work that if there's no signs posted and no gate, go for it. But A buddy works for National Grid and said the land is owned by residents and NG has easments to run the lines. I was looking more in the RI area. Seems everything is gated in MA anyway.

Like I said originally, I just get the urge to turn down that one off of Rt 146 whenever I pass it. The FD patch on the windshield would probably keep me from getting into alot of trouble.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Not legal without the permission of the land owner......which is not the power company in most instances. Join an NEA affiliated club and you'll find out the legal places to wheel. In the meantime, stay off the powerlines because it makes our task of keeping the legal trails open just that much harder.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution. Every time one of you goes out on land you're not supposed to be on, you make the rest of us look bad. You also get areas/trails shut down. There's plenty of legal places to wheel in NE you just need to know where they are. Join an organized club and we'd be happy to tell you. Look up North East Association of 4WD clubs. Rant over.

Quick Reply: Power Lines