Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

1st Jeep

Old 08-24-2016, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Jeep

I've always wanted a Jeep JKU so I finally broke down and got one, a black 2014 JKU Sahara with a Freedom top. It came with 39,xxx on the odometer, 430n radio, alpine audio package, hothead headliner, AFE CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Banks exhaust, Superchips TD2, bull bar, 6" KC lights, and 18" Gear wheels. The bad news is that it came with a 3.21 gear ratio and 32.5" Nitto Crosstek tires. BUT, for every problem there is a solution!

Completed Upgrades:
Weathertech floor liners
Daystar TD2 dash pod
Tint (can't drive a fishbowl)
Teraflex Leveling kit

Upcoming Upgrades:
Teraflex 3" kit
Bilstein 5100s
35" Ridge Grapplers
Either 17" or 20" wheels, not sure which one yet
Electronic Lockers
4.88 gears
Barricade front bumper and winch
Seat covers

I'm sure that I'm forgetting stuff but that is all that comes to mind right now.. anyway here is a pic of how it sat when I bought it, Ill be uploading a pic with the leveling kit on it once I get it washed today.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2345.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	655281

Last edited by FlyFisherman; 08-24-2016 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Uploaded the pic twice
Old 08-24-2016, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There are lots of threads on here for this. Most will tell you to go with the 17 rims with about 5 inch back spacing. If your doing gears might as well spring for the lockers. I personally decided to spend my money on 1.75 inch spacers (<150 + install) on top of the springs leaving the rest of the suspension stock, removing the armor replacing it with full armor package, fenders flares and 35 inch Goodyear Kevlars.

Now no mater what you decide to do, if this is a daily driver I would run the smaller tires daily and put the bigger ones on for wheeling. This will help keep the ball joints, drag-link, tie rod, power steering box from wearing out every 12-18 months.

good luck
Old 08-24-2016, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've got a good looking rig! How are you liking the goodyears? And are you experiencing fast wear on your steering or suspension components ?
Old 08-29-2016, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the Kevlars for off roading good traction and difficult to destroy. But after half the tread is gone they become more difficult to balance. Which is why I only run them off road. Which for me is about 3% of the time according to my log of off road time I keep. But yes to your question bigger tires will ware out the steering much faster.

Quick Reply: 1st Jeep