Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

2016 jk 2 door need help with driveshaft after lifting it

Old 12-20-2020, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 jk 2 door need help with driveshaft after lifting it

Ok I’m a new one to lifted Jeeps. My JK 2 door 2016 has a big issue now. I had it lifted and new wheels put on. The lift was 4 “ but with all the weight I had in the back it kept sagging in the back. I had them to put a 2” spacer in the back coil springs. That fixed it for about a week. Come to find out the rough country springs are not that great for my purpose. So I bought some BA progressive springs from desert rat. Had the guys back home install them and leave the 2” spacers. That took care of the problem. So I thought. After removing the load I had in the back the backend was up higher than the front. I thought no problem I could live with that for the time until I put the weight back in it. So I drove it about 400 miles on the highway and then it happened. It started a vibration like I was on the rumble strips. At first I thought I popped a tire on the road. When I pulled over and noticed it was like I was in neutral. I looked under and seen a spark hit the road. This was at night. I then seen a red glow coming from the joint by the transfer case. Metal was dripping down. The joint was completely gone. I thought I could just pull the rear shaft out and use 4 wheel to get home. Nope I had to unbolt the differential. But that didn’t help because it seems like it’s pressed in. So now I’m needing to replace this shaft. Any recommendations for this. I heard of some double Cardons. Thanks for any help
Old 12-20-2020, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 364 Likes on 340 Posts

Suggest you contact several driveshaft suppliers... Adams .. Tom Woods... look them up... Just how high is your total lift? You are probably experiencing severe driveshaft angles -- how is your caster too?
Old 12-20-2020, 12:36 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,600 Posts

I'd suggest addressing caster/pinion angles before replacing drive shafts otherwise you're just throwing money away. Your angles are too steep. Once you get the angles addressed, driveshafts aren't a fancy item. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy from a local shop, sometimes not. Not sure how the holiday sales are stacking up with online venders.

Quick Reply: 2016 jk 2 door need help with driveshaft after lifting it