Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Back with the Jeep family, TX

Old 09-16-2014, 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back with the Jeep family, TX

Been out of Jeeps for a few years, after I started driving ~90 miles each day for work. I ended up selling the 88 XJ (4.5", 4.56 and 33s, locker), and gave my sister my 99 Cherokee about 7 or 8 years ago when she was having some vehicle difficulties. A few years later I got a pickup, and have kept a daily driver an truck since then.

Wife and I just took a trip up to Wyoming/Montana for a friends wedding, and spent some time in the mountains up there, and decided a Jeep was back in the cards. Spent some time looking at TJ Unlimiteds, but the prices around me were pretty high, so I just jumped ship to the JK, wanted the 3.6, and then a Rubicon became "mandatory".

The JKU would be needed to carry any guests, or our dogs, and luggage for trips. Both of our cars are smallish coupes, so needed to keep 4 doors for various reasons.

So the search ended this weekend, and I picked up a 2012 JKUR. No build sheet yet, but I called a jeep dealer to verify it had 4.10s (another I looked at was advertised as such, but ended up having 3.73s). Has the 5spd auto, hard top, and pretty basic beyond that. Factory everything, doesnt look like its been offroad.

Right now the rough plans are as follows:

Step 1 - Seat covers, and remove carpet in the back and use a bedliner product to add some traction and protection. Probably add something like a stall pad (for horse stalls, a rubber pad 1/4" thick) cut to match the floor dimensions for easy cleaning and comfort for the dogs. This will get us ready for general use, and avoid dog hair everywhere (and with a white German Shepherd, its an issue in a black interior)

Step 1.5 will probably be a set of sliders with a built in step for the wife, or when I have my mom with me, as both are short, and my mom has bad knees.

Step 2 will probably entail waiting for the OEM tires to wear down more, and then some upgrades. Will probably end up keeping it fairly simple, going with 33s, and a small lift, like a budget boost or a 1.5" RK lift, as I dont want to over-lift and have small tires. But I may end up doing something like the AEV 2.5", and the control arm brackets, and 35s. Ill keep reading, and get some advice then.

Step 3 would then be bumpers, tire carrier for the bigger/heavier spare, and a winch.

Suspected use will be a camping hauler, with duties of getting to bike trails, fishing holes, and general outdoor use. There are a couple offroad parks around me, so some trail use will be seen, but that will probably be limited until pay-off date.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding a bedliner to use (I was thinking Monstaliner), what sliders/steps, or issues with the plans in general, I would love to hear about them.

Also, no pics. But its red.

Matt
Old 09-16-2014, 10:39 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the JK-Forum Matt
Old 09-16-2014, 11:07 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by el_chupo_
Been out of Jeeps for a few years, after I started driving ~90 miles each day for work. I ended up selling the 88 XJ (4.5", 4.56 and 33s, locker), and gave my sister my 99 Cherokee about 7 or 8 years ago when she was having some vehicle difficulties. A few years later I got a pickup, and have kept a daily driver an truck since then.

Wife and I just took a trip up to Wyoming/Montana for a friends wedding, and spent some time in the mountains up there, and decided a Jeep was back in the cards. Spent some time looking at TJ Unlimiteds, but the prices around me were pretty high, so I just jumped ship to the JK, wanted the 3.6, and then a Rubicon became "mandatory".

The JKU would be needed to carry any guests, or our dogs, and luggage for trips. Both of our cars are smallish coupes, so needed to keep 4 doors for various reasons.

So the search ended this weekend, and I picked up a 2012 JKUR. No build sheet yet, but I called a jeep dealer to verify it had 4.10s (another I looked at was advertised as such, but ended up having 3.73s). Has the 5spd auto, hard top, and pretty basic beyond that. Factory everything, doesnt look like its been offroad.

Right now the rough plans are as follows:

Step 1 - Seat covers, and remove carpet in the back and use a bedliner product to add some traction and protection. Probably add something like a stall pad (for horse stalls, a rubber pad 1/4" thick) cut to match the floor dimensions for easy cleaning and comfort for the dogs. This will get us ready for general use, and avoid dog hair everywhere (and with a white German Shepherd, its an issue in a black interior)

Step 1.5 will probably be a set of sliders with a built in step for the wife, or when I have my mom with me, as both are short, and my mom has bad knees.

Step 2 will probably entail waiting for the OEM tires to wear down more, and then some upgrades. Will probably end up keeping it fairly simple, going with 33s, and a small lift, like a budget boost or a 1.5" RK lift, as I dont want to over-lift and have small tires. But I may end up doing something like the AEV 2.5", and the control arm brackets, and 35s. Ill keep reading, and get some advice then.

Step 3 would then be bumpers, tire carrier for the bigger/heavier spare, and a winch.

Suspected use will be a camping hauler, with duties of getting to bike trails, fishing holes, and general outdoor use. There are a couple offroad parks around me, so some trail use will be seen, but that will probably be limited until pay-off date.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding a bedliner to use (I was thinking Monstaliner), what sliders/steps, or issues with the plans in general, I would love to hear about them.

Also, no pics. But its red.

Matt
Hah sounds like we passed each other on the highway.. Our wedding anniversary was a few weeks back and we drove from Maryland to Colorado. Taking a more northern router there and a southern route back.. which was a mistake.

Side steps.. trying to locate the plastic/molded steps for our two door.. would make a nice addition.. Bedliner.. yeah we got it.. just haven't had the time or the place to put it on.. Seems there is a rash of Death Wobbles going on with stock jeeps.. we suffered one on our travels.. so that's something to keep an eye on.. Mainly the passenger side ball joints or drag link area.. Other mods?.. going for a 2'' inch Daystar coil spacer.. but doing a few odd ball things to get there..

Quick Reply: Back with the Jeep family, TX