Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Currently in Afghanistan

Old 09-01-2011, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Currently in Afghanistan

Hello everyone. As you can see from the title of this thread, I am currently in Afghanistan. This time as a civilian.

Well, I haven't purchased a Wrangler yet, but, through the Overseas Exchange car buying program, I have "placed the order" on a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon. Needless to say, I can't wait.

I normaly reside in Utah, and am really looking forward to taking the Rubi out when I get back.

Unfortunately, I will be in Afghanistan until ATLEAST 2013. The good news is that everything that I am doing for the 2012 JKU can "roll-over" to a 2013 model.

Well, that's all for checking in right now. Take it easy.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stay safe.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:35 AM
JK Freak

Stay safe over there and hurry back to do some wheelin'...
Old 09-01-2011, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Keep us posted. I hope this forum can help with the anticipation of returning, and taking delivery! Wonder what'll be new in 2013??
Old 09-01-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Newbie

what are you doing in afghanistan as a civilian for such a long time? my bf just got back from serving a couple months ago, its rough out there stay safe.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

Be carefull over there. My son did two tours with the 101st and is now retiring. I am retired AF and know how hard it is to be away. I am proud of what he did but am also happy to have him home safe. It was hard doing and hard being here when he was doing his part. Best of luck.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:54 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Yeah it's Afghanistan, yeah it sucks, but as long as I return safely, it will have been worth it.

That being said, this allows me to get new toys. And being here so long helps with the mods. Speaking of which, now that I have the JKU settled as my vehicle of the future (even after reading an alarming thread about customer service, warranties, and ball joints, etc.), I am now researching mods.

So far, I think I've come to the conclusion that I will be getting a 3" lift, 35's, winch, and skid plates. But I have no idea which brand for each. Well, except the Winch, I think I'll be getting a WARN, but the rest I'm not sure. And I know it's only the beginning.

I may be new to the Wrangler world (got the wifey a Patriot in 2008), but I'm not new to the modding world (2008 Yamaha R1 with around 10k in mods and a 2007 Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS with about 5k of mods). LoL, so if the trend stays true, I can expect to be putting ALOT into my new JEEP.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

did you order the Oscar Mike edition?

I did some contract work in Iraq for about two year. good times and GOOD money!!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:41 AM
JK Newbie

Be safe bro. I'm just finishing my first contract, sitting in Baghdad waiting to fly home. I'm getting my 2012 JKU when I get home.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

I did not get the Oscar Mike edition, but, I still have the option to change to that one. From what I could tell, the Rubi is better. The OM had more "looky" stuff. But, I'll do a little more research on that. I just wanted to make sure I got going on it so that I could pick up any deals that come while I'm out here.

On another note, for those more familiar with this Forum, before deploying to Afghanistan, I lived in San Diego for about 6 years. I'm "originally" from Ogden, Ut., and will be moving back there when I'm done OCONUS (the rest of the family is already there). Now, I have a two-fold question. In the area specific sub-forums, the "Northwest" doesn't include Utah, only going so far as Idaho, and my location in Utah is quite a ways from the "Four-Corners". While I live in Utah, I live much closer to the Northwest area than the Four-Corners area, sooooo, which one should I primarly look in?

The next question is wondering if there is somewhere in this forum where members collaborate about local off-roading shops that they go to or recommend? I know most of the good ones in San Diego, but have no clue where to go in or around Ogden, Ut. when I get there. So, is there a specific thread, or area on this forum where members talk about/discuss/list off-road/jeep friendly, shops?

Quick Reply: Currently in Afghanistan