Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Help! Build or Trade?

Old 07-03-2018, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Build or Trade?

Hey Guys and Gals!

I have a 2011 Unlimited Sahara.
When I purchased my JK, I honestly knew nothing about Jeeps(I just thought it looked awesome and still do!). As I’ve learned more and more about jeeps, I’ve realized I should’ve done more research before my purchase. The jeep came with 35” tires and a 2.5” budget boost. I’ve made some small mods but life’s demands have prevented me from making any big changes.

I’ve done enough research at this point to know I wish I had a Rubicon. The build I want will need the 44s and I’ll want to run 37’s.

Id like some opinions. Do I pay off my 2011 with 95k miles and build it the way I want, or trade it in for 3.6 Rubicon?

I hate the idea of starting over on payments but I also do not want to put 20k into a 3.8L and end up regretting it. Thoughts?
Old 07-04-2018, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It's all personal and only you can make that call. The 3.6 is better on power but if you've got 95k miles on it already then you've probably become used to it. Axles and a transfer case can be had for under $20k.

Are there other issues with your current jeep that would sway you towards a new one? Do you dislike the color you've currently got? The Rubicon has those features that are only noticed off-road, so how much time do you honestly spend off-road? Don't come back with 10%, most folks can't afford to be in the wild for 36 days out of the year. These are questions you need to answer. Another.....with the money that you'll have in payments of a new jeep, will there be leftover money to build it how you're envisioning it? Do you even need 37's or is it just a want? 37's take more than a little axle and gearing upgrade.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

The opinions you seek require a detail you omitted. How much is the payoff on your jeep? Swapping axles is no big deal, the rubi TC is nice but not the end all be all, and the sway bar isn't all that. The 3.6L would be a major improvement, but you're talking about taking on a larger principal payment which would greatly suck. If your jeep is almost paid for, you could pay it off, and put the same monthly amount in to savings each month to build with.

Keep in mind that if you go buy a Rubi, that's not the end. You have to do the same amount and address the same issues. That D44 has the same wimpy tubes and C's, same weak rear factory axle flanges, same weak steering linkage, same factory driveshafts, same brakes, and you'd still have to regear those D44 axles.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys!

I plan to have my Jeep paid for by December. I do not go off-road much at all. I suppose my question would be, should I be confident enough in the longevity of the 3.8L to put all the dough into it to achieve the build I want? The performance of the 3.8 doesn’t bug me. I think my choice is pretty simple. Pay her off and start saving.

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-04-2018, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I've got 184k miles on my 3.8 and have no confidence issues in her at all. It's been a solid motor without issues, but I do make sure to take care of the oil and such. My jeep lives on 35's with minimum upgrades for off-road and its been great. The C gussets and quality ball joints will go a long way. Strengthen your steering and brakes as well. Wheeling sensibly, you should do fine with 37's. If you're getting into sticky tires and wheel spin then yes- stronger axles and such. Daily driver....no real reason to invest in lockers and a low range transfer case.

Quick Reply: Help! Build or Trade?