Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

I've joined the cult!!

Old 10-20-2015, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've joined the cult!!

Greetings from the SF Bay area, I just bought a new JKUHR. I'm looking forward to commuting to the next Sierra Club meeting in it! Just kidding of course. I'm excited to get to know this community and learning about these vehicles. I'm a lifelong gear head, own a diesel shop, and have played or still play with a vast array of vehicles from boats, dirt bikes, diesel trucks and cars, but I'm a total newbie to the Jeep/Hardcore offroad scene. I apologize in advance for any future stupid questions, Hahahaha... I've been wanting a JK for a long time, so when the wife suggested I get rid of my modded Cadillac CTS-V for a better family vehicle, a jeep was the only logical choice.

So now I'm faced with what to start collecting in my mod pile! LOL. I've bought an SPOD and some Rigid lights(Not installed yet) so know I'm trying to decide on what lift to go with. This thing is going to be an occasional commuter so I'm going to keep it on the mild side for a while, Leaning toward 2.5-3" short arm lift and 34-35" max tire size.

Any suggestions on lift brands? I'm a dealer for Rubicon Express, Rock Krawler, Teraflex, Mopar, Pro Comp, Rancho, Super Lift, OME etc. through my diesel shop, so I want to stay with one of those brands..
Thanks in advance!
WINspeed
Old 10-20-2015, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome. Lift preference is so subjective I wont even try to steer you in a direction. I suggest doing some serious research and riding in many different jeeps.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

Where in the Bay Area? I am in SF but am often out driving around visiting clients. I have a 2015 JKUR running the "new" mopar 2" lift (the one with the longer driveshaft) on Goodyear duratracs in the P metric equivalent to 35's on the factory rubicon wheels. Let me know if you want to test out the ride and we can figure out where to meet up. Plus it's always handy to know a good diesel mechanic.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
Welcome. Lift preference is so subjective I wont even try to steer you in a direction. I suggest doing some serious research and riding in many different jeeps.
Ditto. BUT, I think Rubicon Express is junk.

Read TheDirtMan's sticky on lifts. Then read everything you can on the different types of lifts and the different kinds of lift components and why you would or would not want to use them. Here is a recent post I made on a different forum on this subject. The OP was making a bunch of assumptions about having to regear, etc., so the context may be off. But the sentiment is the same. The important take away is, as soon as you start modifying the suspension by lifting it, you can, and likely will, create problems elsewhere unless you address it at the same time. JMHO, YMMV.

It can get very confusing. Take your time. Do it right the first time. I've read too many posts about Jeeps that drive like shit after lifiting, because the owner rushed into something without researching it.

Post some pics of your rig! Welcome to the nightmare. JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket. LOL!

----------------------

Every time I see a thread like this, I have this internal struggle with myself if I should respond or not.

Mostly, because there is no easy answer to this question, and, your assumptions about re-gearing are incorrect and I don't want to come off sounding like a know-it-all. I assumed a lot of what you are (including re-gearing) when I started down the road of modding my Jeep. Many of those assumptions of mine turned out wrong.

Rubicon Express, IMHO, sells garbage. There are the occasional good apples in that bunch, but most of it is junk. Do not buy it. (please don't come after me if you disagree, this is MY opinion, yours may be different and I respect that). The springs WILL sag over time. They used to be good. Not anymore. Stick with Teraflex, Rock Krawler, AEV, Metal Cloak, JKS, etc. Lots of good names out there. Rough Country and Rubicon Express are not in that list.

If you are unlikely to use your Jeep off road, or if there is any question, just get a spacer lift. Easier to install and you'll be happier with your stock springs than with a cheap set from RE or RC. You can still run 35s with your stock flares. Going higher (3.5" spring lift) is likely going to cause you all sorts of other suspension and steering geometry issues. It's not worth it. Actually, ANYTHING you do to your suspension will affect your steering geometry in some way. You'll want to minimize that as much as you can.

Lastly, I run 35" tires on 3.21 gears. You do not HAVE to re-gear. I know guys who ran 37s on 3.21s. Of course, he wheeled his Jeep hard and tore up the gears. I will re-gear soon to 4.56, but that's more so because I like to wheel on rocks and I still drive it to work everyday. Happy medium that works for me. But that's after I ditch the front Dana 30 for a 44.

Do yourself a favor and get the AEV 2" spacer lift (less than $300) and 35s. They say 33s, but if you don't wheel the Jeep, you'll be fine with 35s and your stock flares. I made the mistake of getting 33s first. Those lasted 6 months before I went out and got 35s. And the AEV lift comes with brackets that correct the steering geometry.

If you just want the Jeep to look good and drive nice on road, and want to spend the minimum amount of money, I think this is your best bet. You'll like the way it looks, it will drive great on road, and will still have some off road ability. If you decide to go more radical, you'll have something you can upgrade.

Last edited by ShutterBug; 11-02-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug

Ditto. BUT, I think Rubicon Express is junk.

Read TheDirtMan's sticky on lifts. Then read everything you can on the different types of lifts and the different kinds of lift components and why you would or would not want to use them. Here is a recent post I made on a different forum on this subject. The OP was making a bunch of assumptions about having to regear, etc., so the context may be off. But the sentiment is the same. The important take away is, as soon as you start modifying the suspension by lifting it, you can, and likely will, create problems elsewhere unless you address it at the same time. JMHO, YMMV.

It can get very confusing. Take your time. Do it right the first time. I've read too many posts about Jeeps that drive like shit after lifiting, because the owner rushed into something without researching it.

Post some pics of your rig! Welcome to the nightmare. JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket. LOL!

----------------------

Every time I see a thread like this, I have this internal struggle with myself if I should respond or not.

Mostly, because there is no easy answer to this question, and, your assumptions about re-gearing are incorrect and I don't want to come off sounding like a know-it-all. I assumed a lot of what you are (including re-gearing) when I started down the road of modding my Jeep. Many of those assumptions of mine turned out wrong.

Rubicon Express, IMHO, sells garbage. There are the occasional good apples in that bunch, but most of it is junk. Do not buy it. (please don't come after me if you disagree, this is MY opinion, yours may be different and I respect that). The springs WILL sag over time. They used to be good. Not anymore. Stick with Teraflex, Rock Krawler, AEV, Metal Cloak, JKS, etc. Lots of good names out there. Rough Country and Rubicon Express are not in that list.

If you are unlikely to use your Jeep off road, or if there is any question, just get a spacer lift. Easier to install and you'll be happier with your stock springs than with a cheap set from RE or RC. You can still run 35s with your stock flares. Going higher (3.5" spring lift) is likely going to cause you all sorts of other suspension and steering geometry issues. It's not worth it. Actually, ANYTHING you do to your suspension will affect your steering geometry in some way. You'll want to minimize that as much as you can.

Lastly, I run 35" tires on 3.21 gears. You do not HAVE to re-gear. I know guys who ran 37s on 3.21s. Of course, he wheeled his Jeep hard and tore up the gears. I will re-gear soon to 4.56, but that's more so because I like to wheel on rocks and I still drive it to work everyday. Happy medium that works for me. But that's after I ditch the front Dana 30 for a 44.

Do yourself a favor and get the AEV 2" spacer lift (less than $300) and 35s. They say 33s, but if you don't wheel the Jeep, you'll be fine with 35s and your stock flares. I made the mistake of getting 33s first. Those lasted 6 months before I went out and got 35s. And the AEV lift comes with brackets that correct the steering geometry.

If you just want the Jeep to look good and drive nice on road, and want to spend the minimum amount of money, I think this is your best bet. You'll like the way it looks, it will drive great on road, and will still have some off road ability. If you decide to go more radical, you'll have something you can upgrade.
Solid advice right there...

Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum
Old 11-02-2015, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to add one thing to shutterbug's advice. If you get the aev 2" spacer lift, use terra flex or metal cloaks front shock post extensions. The aev shock relocation brackets are garbage (personal experience). Everything else was great.

Truly plan your project. I knew what I wanted to do and moved straight to evo coilovers. It is really expensive to buy parts twice.

Re-gearing is mandatory. There are shops that will re-gear for $1000. I'm running 4.88 on 35's right now and its a bit low (manual). Everything should be perfect on 37's.

Dont spend more than the cost of gussets and sleeves on a dana 30 and steer clear of major upgrades to the front rubi 44. Mine is a ticking time bomb. I've wheeled enough to identify weakness. I plan on upgrading to a pr44 or mopar 60.

Quick Reply: I've joined the cult!!