Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

JKer wannabe

Old 03-24-2007, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JKer wannabe

Howdy from wannabe JKer from Atlanta.

I can't decide between the 2-door and the 4-door; I have good reasons in support of each.

And I can't decide between Jeep Green, White, Black, Silver, and the rumored upcoming yellow.

I do know that I want a Rubicon that will go upwards 3-4 inches, get new bumpers, new tires, black stamped steel wheels (or a street-capable beadlock), lots of lights under the vehicle (rock lights and puddle lights, not neon), and maybe an amber rear turn signal conversion. The Jeep will have a blackout look. The Jeep is already named.

I'd prefer a diesel so I can run B100 in it. But I'll take it to AEV after a couple of years for that.

Eventually I'd also like to tow a safari trailer.

I have two dogs who I want to take on the trail with me and, until recently, I was planning on taking more than one passenger and their camping schtuff if I got a 4-door.

dygituljunky
Old 03-24-2007, 06:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dygituljunky
Howdy from wannabe JKer from Atlanta.

I can't decide between the 2-door and the 4-door; I have good reasons in support of each.

And I can't decide between Jeep Green, White, Black, Silver, and the rumored upcoming yellow.

I do know that I want a Rubicon that will go upwards 3-4 inches, get new bumpers, new tires, black stamped steel wheels (or a street-capable beadlock), lots of lights under the vehicle (rock lights and puddle lights, not neon), and maybe an amber rear turn signal conversion. The Jeep will have a blackout look. The Jeep is already named.

I'd prefer a diesel so I can run B100 in it. But I'll take it to AEV after a couple of years for that.

Eventually I'd also like to tow a safari trailer.

I have two dogs who I want to take on the trail with me and, until recently, I was planning on taking more than one passenger and their camping schtuff if I got a 4-door.

dygituljunky
Color is totally subjective, but if you're looking to go blacked-out, black is the obvious paint choice. If the Jeep's already named, then unless the name is Yellowjacket or Wasp, you probably don't wanna go yellow and black it out... I have the Jeep Green, and love it - looks great in all conditions, and goes good with black (I've already added a few touches). White is great for looking clean even when it's not, and silver is a great choice, too.

Given your intended use, get the 4-door. It's better for towing, and will definitely carry more than the 2-door. I got the 2, because it's just me, my wife, and our gear - backseat's already out, and that leaves plenty of room for my junk. The 2 door is better on power-to-weight and (supposedly, but you couldn't prove it based on my mileage) gas mileage. It's also more of a "classic" look, and won't be confused with a Hummer by the ignorant.

Good luck, and know that, in the end, you're going to love either one. It's probably the most fun vehicle you'll ever own!
Old 03-24-2007, 10:47 PM
JK Freak

Most fun vehicle is right. as for room in the four door. I had six people in it today (including myself). We did this to add about 1000 pounds and see if it would still do a burn out. we were in a parking lot, loaded all five seats, and put the biggest guy in the back over the rear wheels. and low and behold, the 3.8 still made enough power to burn out. I know this isn't good for the jeep, but the faster it breaks, the sooner it gets upgraded. plus, i like to know how hard i can beat on it. Anyway, shes no 4.0 liter inline, and she lacks low end torque for now, but she still has some guts. back to the decision, i'd reccommend the four door, i love mine, i've had a YJ a TJ and now the JK, and its great. the four door is so wonderful for many reason. but it in end its your decision. Good luck
Old 03-27-2007, 03:25 AM
JK Jedi Master

Welcome to the site
Old 03-28-2007, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the help, y'all. After seeing a picture of a Jeep Green with the black stamped-steel wheels (thanks to 07JKX), that's the way I'm going.

The next thing to figure out is how, if possible, to upgrade the taillights with amber turn/hazard elements. I'm thinking along the lines of outright replacing the taillights with a custom diamond-plate (black) taillight box.

Anybody willing to measure their stock taillights for me? (I'd need the following to make a mock-up: Width and height of the rear-facing primary lens portion, depth of the taillight on the outside of the vehicle, depth of the taillight on the side near the rear door). Might as well get serious about gathering parts for the thing so I can do the stage-1 build ASAP after I order/receive it.

dygitul
Old 03-28-2007, 04:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by dygituljunky
Anybody willing to measure their stock taillights for me?
I've posted an answer in a new thread in the Stock JK Tech forum.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 03-28-2007 at 06:03 AM.

Quick Reply: JKer wannabe