Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Joining the Jeep Family

Old 04-26-2024, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joining the Jeep Family

Picked up a 2007 JK yesterday. I have been looking through the forum prior to buying it.
I really wanted to see what I was getting myself into. Pretty much exactly what I expected for the mileage and price I paid.
2007 Jeep Wrangler X, 6speed. Nothing special, I’m pretty sure it’s all stock except for the head unit which I’m not fond of, but that’s an easy fix.
it has just over 2000,000 miles on it, couple dings and dents but nothing major. Honestly I wouldn’t expect it to be perfect for the year and price I paid, $5000 from Facebook Marketplace.

overall I’m pretty stoked to have it.
min the first couple of days I guess you can say I had my first Jeep experiences.
I got the Jeep Wave, I was like oh shit, I gotta wave back. So I have to keep that in mind now. Never had to do that before but I’m down for this new experience.
The next experience was one I’m not down for, the old death wobble got me and I was not ready. It happened, now I’m aware and will be a little more cautious until I fix the problem. I’ve seen plenty or articles about it already and will start working on it soon.
I had a Chevy Silverado before so it’s going to take some getting used to, it’s not as wide or as long as my pickup was.
I think im just excited to drive a 6 speed again. It’s been a long time but man have I missed it.
I still have my pickup for now, so until the death wobble is fixed I’ll only drive local with it.

I already have an ongoing list of items to fix before any upgrades.
parking brake doesn’t work at all. Tried to check it out, no dice. I ordered a new assembly for it, that will be here tomorrow.
turn signal isn’t working, replacement will be here tomorrow as well.
I was just trying to run it good today so I can hear ot feel what else needs to be fixed. Honestly besides what I’ve listed already, I don’t think I need to do much except for regular maintenance.

i do need to upgrade my jacks and jack stands, I don’t have anything high enough to lift it. The jack for my Silverado doesn’t even seem big enough. Any recommendations for a jack would be appreciated.

I’ve seen videos of these jeep ducks. What’s that about?
and the jeep wave is only 2 fingers Is that right?

I’m open to any and all suggestions. I don’t have money for big lifts, tires or anything crazy right now. But over time little by little I plan on making the appearance a little nicer and maybe some performance upgrades. I know it’s a brick, so I’m not trying to drive it like a Ferrari. But you always want a little more. LoL.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 359 Likes on 335 Posts

Welcome to JKF. Ride looks clean, for that miles really good look. On the DW.. check youtube many videos .. Look for Planman he has 2 on checking all the front end components ..
Old 04-27-2024, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Welcome to JKF. Ride looks clean, for that miles really good look. On the DW.. check youtube many videos .. Look for Planman he has 2 on checking all the front end components ..
appreciate that, thank you. I’m pretty handy but by no means a mechanic. I have a buddy who is a mechanic but he’s an hour away and I try not to bother him unless I’m really stuck. LoL.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Welcome to the forum - I really like your attitude toward this jeep! I believe you have the right idea just a little bit at the time get to know your machine before making any mods.
The following users liked this post:
NJJkDan (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by XJRefugee
Welcome to the forum - I really like your attitude toward this jeep! I believe you have the right idea just a little bit at the time get to know your machine before making any mods.
Thanks, i wish I could do everything all at once but let’s be real, if I had money like that I probably wouldn’t have bought a 2007. I’m stoked about this. I like working on cars and this is my first jeep. I have a friend that has a newer 4 door jeep and is already asking what needs to be done. So I have some local support already which is nice.
let’s see how long this excitement last after troubleshooting the death wobble. LoL. But I think I’m up for the task. Little by little. One step at a time.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

As is with anything you fix. Something else breaks. 4wd shift linkage clip broke off. I replaced the hand brake and it’s great but as soon as I went to put everything back together the 4wd shifter became very loose. LoL.
I’m going to learn a lot from this JK. LoL.

Quick Reply: Joining the Jeep Family