Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New to the forum

Old 08-04-2017, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum

Just saying hello to the forum,
Me and my dad bought a '52 CJ3A together in 1972 for hunting, L-head 4 banger, T90 3-speed, and 6.50x16 tires, the works !.....I soon realized I like Jeeping just as much as hunting - if not more. I drove it for years before I had a license, I was driving it to high school while I was taking driver's-ed. It was my first & only vehicle for years. I finally did a frame off rebuild in the 3A in the late '70's , Buick V6, SM420 4-speed, Detroit locker rear, pwr-loc front, "STIFF" 3" leaf spring lift, 33x12.00 tires, etc.....I've always liked rock crawling the best. Did the Rubicon numerous times, 6 Jeepers Jamborees, 8 Sierra Treks, then the Dusy, & Barret Lake. I Jeeped pretty hard from 1980 to the early 2000's. Did the Rubicon the last time in 2006. Then one of my close friends, that I Jeeped with for years, died, and several others just got burned out of going 4-wheeling and sold their rigs. My 3A sat for 3 years in the garage and didn't move. In my opinion, it was a very nice looking flat fender, but I reluctantly decided to sell it in 2009 and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I was honestly sick to my stomach when I watched it pull away on someone else's trailer. For a while, I didn't miss it, but as time moved on, I started to miss the Jeep more & more.

Last year in January 2016, I found a white 2015 Jeep JK Rubicon 2-door hardtop, that had never been off road. It was an automatic, which i wanted so my wife could drive it easily. She can drive a stick, but I've been married to her for 37 years and I still question her coordination. The Jeep only had 6400 miles on it and looked like new. One thing I can say for sure - this JK is WAY NICER to drive than my old flat fender. I've been watching the sport on the sidelines the last few years and it seems like the trails, and 4-wheeling in general, has gotten a bit more extreme since I was on the trails. I'm planning on retiring in 2 to 3 more years and I'd like to spend some time Jeeping again. I know old CJ's real well, but the JK's are an entirely new beast to me and I'm trying to learn Jeeps all over again, so it feels like I'm just getting started again !

Regards, Mike
Old 08-05-2017, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

Welcome to the Jeep world again. You are on the right forum for info. There are many very knowledgeable folks on here that are more than willing to answer questions. Your old one sounded nice but the JK's are "plush" in comparison. Good luck and happy jeepin'.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Thank you for the warm greeting woody208. I've been searching a few other Jeep forums and I liked this one the best.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Welcome Mike! I predict that you're gonna love your new jeep. Although it's not quite as simple of a machine as your old CJ was, the JK is still pretty easy to work on which is nice, and I'd challenge you to come up with a question that hasn't been addressed before . I feel a bit bad for the upcoming JL owners that will have to blaze the new trail.....figuring out the kinks and issues with that model.

This forum is my preference as well. Some of the others either kill my eyes to look at or have too much drama. You'll find a nice mix people here and there's definitely a ton of info to soak up as a new JK owner!
Old 08-09-2017, 01:23 PM
JK Newbie

Resharp001,
I actually fell in love with this 2 door JK when I test drove it !......Compaired to the old CJ was night & day. My wife couldn't believe it had a heater, let alone A/C. The 3A was simple, but somewhat primitive, but I will always have a place in my heart for old CJ's, especially Flat-Fenders. "Come up with a question that has never been asked here before ?" That's going to be tough !......I've already looked at the FAQ's here, and searched the forums for suspension lifts, tire sizes, gearing, front 44 mods, steering, etc.....And there is a ton of info here with people that have been there & done that. But give me some time & I might come up with that question that's never been asked. For now, I think I have a plan for building my JK, and as everything I've read here, half the fun is customizing the Jeep to your own tastes.

Jeep stands for:

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Regards, Mike

Quick Reply: New to the forum