Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New to the Jeep world in virgina

Old 04-21-2019, 10:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Looks like Synergy ball joints there. Also have pins there to quickly disconnect the front sway bar (bottom of sway bar links). Definitely a Rubicon Express lift. Still, try to snap a picture from the back side of the axle, where the lower control arm mounts, and the frame side where the other end of that arm mounts. (it's piece that runs behind the front tire and ties the axle to the jeep if there's any confusion). You can see just a small bit of it in this pic running right behind the tire and the frame (sorry, I can't draw on the picture to highlight it on my Chrombook).

Also, snap a picture of the front drive shaft. Caught a hint of it in one of those pictures, and there may be a change that has been replaced. It looks a bit thick to be an aftermarket, but the one pic kind of didn't look like the factory unit.

Last edited by resharp001; 04-21-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The passenger side of the tie rod has been replaced as well, you can see a grease fitting on there. What's crazy is that they replaced that piece and not also the driver's side piece. Or, if they were having issues, that they didn't just go aftermarket and be done.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys so much after work today I will snap some better pictures. Thanks so much for all the help so far me and you guys have been wonderful
Old 04-22-2019, 05:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The passenger side of the tie rod has been replaced as well, you can see a grease fitting on there.
Good catch. Considering the BJ's were replaced, I'd bet this jeep had a decent DW before, probably induced by worn BJ's, and in the process they diagnosed a shot TRE and picked the most economical manner at the time.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

I took some more pics hopefully it shows what you guys are looking at.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:51 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You have extended brake lines which is nice. This is specifically what i'm looking for to tell what kind of caster correction you have going on if any -

I'm leaning towards Karl's comment earlier, that previous owner had larger tires on that. Snap a picture of the front drive shaft while you're there.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

I can try to take more if I need too?
Old 04-22-2019, 05:06 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

We're getting closer....LOL. From those pictures, you have a factory front drive shaft. From previous picture I thought maybe a chance it wasn't, but it is. On the rear axle, your diff breather hose is not connected. You can see the nipple sitting there just to the passenger side of the pumpkin. That hose dangling down should be connected there.

On the front axle, either from the front of the jeep or middle looking forward, try to snap a picture of this mount -

It appears you do not have control arm brackets from the last round of pictures. If you don't have cam bolts installed in this mount, then you have no caster correction. Even if you have cam bolts here, I'd suggest scrapping them and getting brackets, but let's see first if they are there or not. Also, I see you have Trail Grappler tires (from the lugs). Not certain what your Virginia winters are like. Those are good tires, but not known to be great in the snow. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Man you are awesome! Thanks a lot man I will try to snap a few of those pics you mention and send them. I certainly apprecite all the help so far for sure on identifying everything. Buddy of mine was telling me thing should be pretty solid to do a Little Rock climbing, so I’m hoping to maybe do some lite stuff this coming weekend.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:36 AM
JK Newbie

I’m thinking this was what you wanted?

Quick Reply: New to the Jeep world in virgina