Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New to me JK sport...

Old 07-03-2022, 09:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me JK sport...

Howdy folks... bought my wife a red 2012 JK Sport...2 door...6 speed with a 30/44 setup...3.21 gears and 18" rims and bald 35s. She's pretty rough around the edges so we won't mind wheeling it with my 97 TJ.

Questions...been researching...bought JScan for $23 and tried reprogramming the ECU for 34" tires...no errors but no joy on the speedo either... guessing my ODB adapter is not a sanctioned model and will purchase a recommend one...is there no vehicle speed sensor? I saw stuff about tires and the ABS module.

Second...I'd like to replace the 18s. Desert Rat has 16s but they only have 3.62 inches of backspacing...not the recommend 3.75...but that was for 15s. Is that enough to clear the brake calipers? Any thoughts on these rims? https://www.desertrat.com/i-23318142-16x8-5-desert-rattler-bully-pro-lock-5x5-5.html#!year%3D2022 Any recommendations for black 15s? I read the 15s thread but most seem out of stock or production. Also entertaining keeping the 18s and going for 37s. =)

Third...it's missing the back seat. In checking out why the radio is completely dead I noticed the fuse box has fuses and relays for heated and power seat options... anyone have any experience with swapping in Rubicon seats...is the wiring all there and all I need is dash buttons? Thinking instead of just finding a back seat that matches...and the front seat is stiched... just replace all three.

Planning on 4.88s or 5.13s and e-lockers. Maybe a Super 30 kit in the front 30 or I win the lottery and swap in a prebuilt G2 44.

Need to research out the lift...looks like taller springs.

More to follow...

-Mac
Old 07-06-2022, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Welcome to JKF Mac!
Old 07-07-2022, 04:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Welcome to JKF Mac!

Regarding the Jscan, you definitely need one of the dongles that they list as approved on their site or app, and the one(s) specifically for iOS or Android (whichever you have).

Most of us are using, and would recommend, a 17"x9" wheel. If you're going to stick with 35s then 4.5" backspacing, and if you're going to go with 37s then 3.5" which will likely put you more in the beadlock class, though there are at least a couple manufacturers that make a non-beadlock 17x9 with 3.5" BS. I know Dirty Life Wheels used to. This gives you clearance for larger brakes and upgraded tie rods. If you are thinking of going bigger then those two things right there should eliminate thoughts of 15" or 16" wheels.

Look at the Metalcloak lifts. That is what most of us would point you to. Don't be frightened off you don't see them on many of the normal retailer sites. They are primarily direct-to-consumer. Sign up for their email list as they have "flash sales" right around the holidays and you can normally get 10% off and free shipping. You just missed the July 4th sale.

In regard to the heated seats, I am betting that even though you think you have the fuse options there that the wiring loom harness behind your center console panel isn't accommodating that. I could be wrong but I'd be surprised. I can't recall specifically anyone doing this. If you give up on exploring that thought a decent backup plan is WarmSeats ( https://bit.ly/3NJxvmd ). I've used these for 7+ years in my jeep and they've been great. They are actually better than my buddys' factory butt warmers cux the mats are larger. Just another option at least.
The following users liked this post:
macleanflood (07-13-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 05:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

Welcome from GA!
Old 07-18-2022, 09:20 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Welcome! I think 5:13 are great for 35's and the automatic... I would guess the 4:88 would work fine with the 6 speed.

Quick Reply: New to me JK sport...