Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New Member!

Old 09-26-2016, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member!

Hi!
I am currently on my third jeep. I had a 1997 TJ 2.4L 5 sp manual in red, a 2007 Rescue Green JK 2dr with color matched mopar half doors and I'm now on my grocery getter 2012 JKU Sport. Much like many of us, I have big plans but also a family. We'll see how quickly I can get to where I want to be on this one. So I'm not entirely green when it comes to Jeeps, but my joining the forum is due to an issue that has me completely stumped. I have done excessive google and forum research and cannot find much information regarding the following: I will follow-up and cross post this too. If I'm already breaking the rules, I apologize and you can delete this:

2012 JKU Sport Hardtop - Virtually stock except the following:

285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs
2.5" Teraflex BB
Kenwood Replacement Speakers in soundbar
Replaced Multifunction Switch - misdiagnosed issue with fog lamps and I left the new one in.

About 2 weeks ago, I would be listening to FM radio and a clicking noise would happen through the speakers and the sound would go out. After 2-4 seconds, the sound would come back. During the same time the sound was out, I had full power to the head unit, but the volume button would not work to visibly increase or decrease the numeric volume display. (nor the sound because there wasn't any). I would switch over to the SAT and the sound work work fine. I would try the AUX or Bluetooth and they would work fine. As time went on, this started happening on the SAT mode and also the AUX mode. The frequency of this happening also got progressively worse with time in all modes. Now it happens almost constantly in and out. Before it got really bad, it worked fine for about 2 days. All speakers go out, there's no static, just plain dead as if you pressed the power button off. During the time the sound is out, I can still power off and on the head unit. It almost seems like a signal issue, but it happens on all modes. I've seen threads with a "similar" issue, regarding left or right speakers, amp issues, etc. But nothing exactly like this. Any help is appreciated!
Old 09-26-2016, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Lots of smart folks on here should be able to help you. Has the unit been pulled out. Almost sounds like a short. Could be a bad head unit.

Quick Reply: New Member!