Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New member in LA, the other LA

Old 04-11-2014, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member in LA, the other LA

New member here. Living in Baton Rouge. I wanted to check out the forums before I made my final decision. A tree fell and totaled my Honda Fit, so I have the opportunity to correct my mistake and buy the Jeep this time.

First question: am I better off getting a Wrangler Sport, then adding items like radio, rock rail/steps, wheels and tires from the factory or aftermarket? Or start with the Rubicon as I will be getting upgraded radio, Sirius, power windows, locks, remote, premium soft top, rock rails/steps etc.

Not really expecting on serious rock crawling, but rented a Sport in Moab and went off-road on "intermediate" trails last year and fell in love.
Thanks in advance
Old 04-11-2014, 10:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Sent from iPhone moderating JK-Forum.com
Old 04-11-2014, 11:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum. I'm in Shreveport but frequent Baton Rouge every month. Oh and Louisiana is the only LA. The other is actually L.A. Lol. I would go with rubi but the radio isn't really important as it still sucks no matter what option you get. Lol. At least I find. But better gearing off the bar for bigger tires.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Welcome to the forum, I'm from Cut Off, LA. You have one of the best Jeep shops in the state right there near you. Searchers.

Another vote for a Rubi. That'll be my next Jeep.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by gunut
Welcome to the forum, I'm from Cut Off, LA. You have one of the best Jeep shops in the state right there near you. Searchers. Another vote for a Rubi. That'll be my next Jeep.
Does searchers do gears. If so do you know how much. If it's anything over $2000 or $1800 for that matter then I would rather not know. Lol.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:49 PM
JK Freak

If you can afford the Rubicon, go that way, but if you're like most of us that's a big nut to crack. I went with a moderately equipped Sport S and added a few things. Then I went nuts and modded pretty much everything. Still spending money like a drunken sailor. 37s next week.
Geez. It's a disease.
BTW I'm in Baton Rouge too. Great place to have a Jeep!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Does searchers do gears. If so do you know how much. If it's anything over $2000 or $1800 for that matter then I would rather not know. Lol.
My suggestion for gearing is to go to Kelly with Changn' Gears. He does great work. Regeared me and my friend for $1200 cash. I went with 5.13s.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Goeagles88
My suggestion for gearing is to go to Kelly with Changn' Gears. He does great work. Regeared me and my friend for $1200 cash. I went with 5.13s.
Thanks. That's the kind of price I'm looking for. Does that include gears and install kits and all ?
Old 04-11-2014, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Not sure what they charge, but they do complete builds, engine swaps....the whole nine yards. Look them up on Facebook for more info and pics of some of their projects.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by gunut
Not sure what they charge, but they do complete builds, engine swaps....the whole nine yards. Look them up on Facebook for more info and pics of some of their projects.
No Facebook. They are on louisiana offroad forum though.

Quick Reply: New member in LA, the other LA