Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Newbie in Dallas

Old 06-11-2019, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie in Dallas

Hey all!!! I finally joined the club and bought my first Wrangler!

I recently purchased a 2008 Unlimited X and slowly working on it. With it being older, and the previous owners apparently not caring and taking great care of it,

it came with a few surprises that needed attention first, so several of the upgrades i wanted to do have to wait.

Just recently I got a great deal on some wheels that my neighbor had on his jeep, and i just couldn't pass it up. Now, my problem is my tire carrier doesn't work for my spare and i can't purchase a new bumper/tire carrier just yet. My question though is, does anyone have a temporary fix until I can purchase the new reinforced tire carrier/bumper? I am going on vacation in the next few weeks and really don't want to make the drive without my spare. Would an extender work temporarily? Currently have 35's with 20's.

I am excited about this journey that I have started and appreciate any suggestions, knowledge, or experience that you all would like to share. I am completely new to this!!
Old 06-11-2019, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

You will have to look around... I know there are ways to reinforce the tailgate tire carrier that allow for larger tires... I'm guessing about 6 or 8 different ones are out there. We get good prices from Northridge4x4.com … you might check them out! Welcome!
The following users liked this post:
Kayce1023 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 07:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Welcome. I'm on the other side of town from you. I'm going to guess the back spacing on the wheel isn't allowing you to mount the spare as the tire hits the tailgate before the wheel is mounted on the tire carrier's studs. You could buy a cheap 2" 5x5 pattern wheel spacer off ebay for probably $20 or so. No need to worry about it being of any quality since it's just holding a spare and not holding a wheel on the axle.

Also, usually when you're getting a "good deal", question it thoroughly. Most will go with a 17" wheel rather than a 20" to keep a larger tire sidewall which is advantageous for wheelin' purposes.
The following users liked this post:
Kayce1023 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Yes you are! You aren't too far! And you are correct! it is hitting my bumper :(. I can get it up there and on, but the bottom of the tire can't go back to even it out since it's so large. Definitely a good idea for something inexpensive. i will have to look into that. i just need something that i know will hold while i am on vacation, even if i have to take the tire back off when i get home, at least until i can upgrade the back. i travel maybe 15 miles to work any other day, so if i don't have my spare i'm not freaking out. i like the look of the 20's, but may eventually downgrade. Not 100% sure i like the ride i'm getting with them.

Quick Reply: Newbie in Dallas