Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Newbie here looking for info before buying a jk

Old 08-12-2013, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here looking for info before buying a jk

2008 wrangler Sahara 4dr automatic

Has rock krawler suspension kit running 37"'s. salesman tells me over 25mph it wobbles. I've done research on the "death wobble" issue and became more confused then before. Wasn't sure if any of y'all could give me some advice to check it out, plan on taking it to mechanic (dealership says the do not have anyone capable to work on those suspensions?) from what I have read its trackbar, tie rods, ball joints.... List goes on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Don't mind fixing it myself depending on the fix due to the price of the jeep being low due to this issue... Thanks

I'm in pensacola fl if anyone near could tell me of a place to take it or get some advice from.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:37 PM
JK Junkie

Look for planman's writeup on the death wobble, but if the dealer can't figure it out then maybe you should be looking at going to an off road shop to have it looked over.

Make sure they've got the proper driveshafts, control arms, flipped steering, and all of the such on the jeep if it's already lifted with 37's. Pictures would be helpful to some of the more savvy folks here who can spot things a mile away. Also- a price so they can give you some guidance on what to pay for what you're getting.

Keep in mind that the auto trans should have some sort of cooler running 37's. If it doesn't have one then make sure your trans is covered by warranty should it happen to experience problems. Check for axle gear ratios.

There is a lot that you're getting into with it, just be aware.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-12-2013, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

How high is the lift anyway? I'm not extremely experienced with this stuff, but I did a ton of research before ordering and installing the kit on my JK. From what I understand, track bars and control arms are the 2 main things that will correct death wobble depending on the height. I only did a 2.5" Teraflex kit and did both front and rear adjustable track bars and the Jeep literally drives better than stock. If it's higher, may want to check out lower adjustable control arms. Also, if it's at such a low speed, the salesman defining it as "wobbles" could even be a tire balance issue. Just my 2 cents from what I've been seeing so far. Good luck!
Old 08-13-2013, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

These are photos I was able to take yesterday. Price is at 22k said willing to negotiate which I plan on doing since it needs fixed. 81k miles. What you think is a fair price.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-476137924.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	487924   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1699437788.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	487925   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3175971118.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	487926   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-698105626.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	487927   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-168944882.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	487928  

Old 08-13-2013, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, it looks great, but if I were you I would take my search somewhere else.

You already know about one problem, there may be plenty more lurking beneath what that one problem is overshadowing.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

What you want to do is go to kbb and look up what its value is there. That is a lot of money for a vehicle that is " broken". Why would the dealer not get it fixed or why did the previous owner not get it fixed. Is it just a money-pit? You might be better off getting a jeep that is stock and put on the parts that you want that you know that are good and make it your jeep. There is so much information on this forum and jeep people love to help each other. I just do not want you to have a bad experience.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is certainly a sharp looking Jeep but as other folks have mentioned you may be better off leaving this one alone. In addition to spending money on the actual purchase you will have to contend with unknown repair bills and vehicle down time. Welcome to the Jeep world no matter what you decide.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its a consistent wobble over 25 mph then it probably just needs the tires balanced to start. If its only when you hit bumps then it could be DW related
Old 08-13-2013, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Ya I'm keeping my eyes open for other jeeps in the area. Just figured if its a couple hundred to fix may be worth it
Old 08-13-2013, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Now that I'm going to begin the search again.... Would you recommend a manual or automatic? I will be near using it as a daily driver as well as for getting back to my hunting stands (just moved to fl from ms) so basically all kinds of driving hwy, trail, sand, ECt. Has to be 4x4 and 4dr. When I think of a jeep manual comes to mind first but may not be the right idea... Any help would be great. Thanks y'all for the help on previous jeep questions.

Quick Reply: Newbie here looking for info before buying a jk