Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

A newbie to Jeeps, off-roading and having freedom.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A newbie to Jeeps, off-roading and having freedom.

Hey guys, I’m Dan and I am from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. I’m a community/social worker by day, a geek and metalhead by night and now a Jeeper on the weekend. For the past couple of months I have been the second owner of a black 08 Unlimited Sport I call Vader. Before I was driving a 94 Honda Civic which was able to run on the fumes of an oily rag, perfect for when I was going to uni and was living below the poverty line. These days I use more fuel, but find myself with a lot more freedom than I have ever experienced.

Some days after a particularly hard day at work, I find myself driving home, fantasying about driving right past my driveway and continuing onto the vast areas of Australia that I have yet to experience... which is probably about 99.9% of this awesome country. Then I remember that I am still paying my Jeep off so I drive into the driveway, have some dinner, take a dump, brush my teeth and go to bed as I will have to get up in the morning for work.

At this point in time, it is a fantasy to take off and hit the road (paved or dirt), but that hasn’t stopped me from experiencing the freedom that my Jeep offers me. Being as this is my first 4x4, I haven’t been for any serious off-roading yet, but I did get the chance to play on some muddy trails this past weekend.

First lesson learnt the hard way: Aussie mud is sticky as hell if left for a couple of days before cleaning off. Clean mud off as soon as possible after getting dirty.

My skills in off-road driving don’t exist yet, so I am hoping to catch up with some other Aussie Jeep owners on the boards to learn the ropes and hit the trails with. I may not be skilled at off-roading yet but I make up for it in being a mad chef on the BBQ and have an awesome butcher that sells restaurant quality steak! So if there are any Brissy/South-east Queenslanders out there who hit the trails in the area and like a good steak, give us a message.

One day I will have paid off the Jeep, at which point I may just hit the open/off roads, until then, I hope to meet you all, share drinks and food with you, and get bogged in the mud with you.

Cheers everyone!

Dan \m/ \m/
Old 01-04-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Welcome to the forum

I've always considered BBQ skills to be essential on the trail

Enjoy your new found freedom
Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 PM
JK Newbie

Cheers dude, It's quite an amazing forum going on here. Heaps of info and plenty of events going on!

Here's a couple of picks I just took of Vader.

If you look close in the second pic you will notice my new JK decals and my Darth Vader bobblehead sitting on the dash!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:25 AM
JK Newbie

Trust me when I say that I don't regret having to pay off the Jeep at all! I have already planned camping trips that are only accessable by 4x4s, some of which will be on a few islands off the coast of Queensland. I'm with you Toad in saying I will have the Jeep till the day it dies... or the day I die... how morbid...

I definatly have the Jeep way of life.

Quick Reply: A newbie to Jeeps, off-roading and having freedom.