Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Newbie with Lift / Suspension Questions

Old 03-18-2018, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with Lift / Suspension Questions

I bought a used 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport a while back. It already had BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain KM2 tires size 33x12.50R15LT installed and appears to have a suspension lift kit. The PO also put what I believe is Smittybuilt fender flares and cut out the inner fender liners. For as much as we used it, it hasn't needed a lot and has been what we wanted. I am still working on fixing a couple of small things here and there and adding the mods to it that we want. Recently, I noticed a strange noise and feeling in the front end and started doing some suspension checks. I found that the front passenger side sway bar link is worn out and needs to be replaced. Of course I'm going to replace both sides at the same time, but in getting ready to order new ones I noticed that the links appear to be the stock size and the sway bar is tilted slightly downward. I may be wrong, but if there is a suspension lift, shouldn't the links be a little longer so the sway bar is level? I know that some lift kits come with new links for the rear and then you typically move the stock rear to the front. The rear links on my jeep still appear to be stock so I don't think the PO did this.

I have tried to find a part number on the springs or shock absorbers to try and look up the lift to check the brand and size but have been unsuccessful. I have found a number on the rear shock absorber, but cannot find a brand associated with it. Sorry but it's upside down in the attached pic.

Can anyone take a look at the attached pics and tell me what type of lift is on my jeep or if there even is one at all? Should I replace the front links with longer ones or will the stock size be what I need?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

REAR SHOCK ABSORBER

FRONT DRIVER'S SIDE

FRONT DRIVER'S SIDE
Old 03-18-2018, 07:32 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

looks like Rough Country. They are famous for incomplete lifts and is why the price is so cheap on them. They use the silver color. Looks like their older style shocks as well with that bump stop built into the shock. I would guess a 2.5" lift kit since you are getting away with sway bar links and track bars. BTW some kits move the rear sway bar links to the front and come with new longer rear links so the fronts would look like stockers. RC kits will also use cheaper drop brackets and a drop pitman arm in some kits but I doubt they were used in the 2.5" kit.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 3.5" lift kit from RC and it was a complete lift. I have heard bad things about them but decided to try them out anyways. The pictures you have shared definitely look like a RC lift, I would venture to say its a 2.5" with the old style shocks like Dirtman said. Mine included new bumpstops I had to drill to install. and yes if it is the fronts you are looking for, I had to use my rear links up front and they supplied new rear links. see if that works.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both! I was thinking RC but couldn't find my part number on their website so I figured I'd reach out to the real experts aka jeep owners. I really think the rear links are still the stock and that they weren't changed. Because my front one definitely needs to be replaced would it be in my best interest to order stock rear links to install on the front. Or should I buy one of the RC link kits for 2.5 -6 inch lifts and change out both the front and rear? Just want to make sure I don't cause myself any major issues. To be honest, I will now add a new suspension lift in the future to my Wish List. Nothing too expensive as this is just a toy and my kids spend all my money! I would prefer to know exactly what I've got on there and that it was all done the right way. I'm definitely learning that there are advantages and disadvantages to buying a jeep that already had some of the things we wanted added.

Thank you again for the help and hopefully I won't be too much of a pain with all of my questions.

Quick Reply: Newbie with Lift / Suspension Questions