Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Slave cylinder - 5th replacement HELP

Old 10-12-2018, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Slave cylinder - 5th replacement HELP

I've owned my jeep for a year. Purchased a 2007 JK Wrangler X in April of 2017. Had 68,000 miles on it. Since I have had it, I have had five master slave cylinders replaced. My mechanic says he has no clue but keeps replacing them. I know I need a new mechanic that is a bit more jeep savvy but has anyone else had this issue? Anyone out there solve it? It would be great to go to a new one with more info than...this part keeps going out on me. Please help, I LOVE my jeep and really want it to be more reliable and not stranding me in places anymore. So what happens is I will usually be stopped at an intersection...put it in gear and get ready to go then suddenly no gears. It won't move. It will stall. Then when I start it back up I can't get it into a gear. The clutch goes all to the floor with no pressure. Fluid spills out and it gets towed back to the mechanic.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

What brand slave are they putting in? Do you know if it's the factory clutch still in the jeep? I ask because I've logged 188k miles and I haven't had a slave fail like that. I had one leak a little but it was replaced within 24hrs and haven't had a problem since.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

It’s the factory clutch. He’s using the factory slave part.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

Someone mentioned that Chrysler put out a technical service bulletin that said the issue is being caused by a bad preload on the throw out bearing. Their solution is to remove the pivot stud that the clutch fork pivots on and place two washers between the stud and the inside of the bell housing. I don't know if anyone has tried this and it worked or if there are other suggestions. Clearly something is not adjusted properly and my mechanic isn't going to look into it. I'm calling around Monday to see if I can find another mechanic that is good at troubleshooting but reaching out in case anyone else experienced this issue and had a resolution.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I do recall seeing a TSB along those lines but I have a 10 so the adjustment and TSB didn't apply to my job. Hopefully you'll be able to find a mechanic to get the clutch right for you because these are very fun and reliable vehicles. I'm disappointed that you're experiencing the issues that is killing the fun for you.

Quick Reply: Slave cylinder - 5th replacement HELP