Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Soon-to-be Buyer

Old 06-17-2013, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon-to-be Buyer

Hi all,
First let me just say I am excited about becoming an owner of a new Jeep. I'm looking to purchase a 2013 JK Unlimited in a bout a week or so. I've owned a Jeep before (a 1992 XJ) but feel like its time to make the switch.

I've scoured these boards for days now looking for information and still have a couple of questions for those who have the newer model JKs. Any info/help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I'll be sure to post pictures of the new rig once I buy!

1. What is the general consensus on the different types of tops for the Wrangler? I live in New England where heavy snow and rain is an issue so I was wondering if anyone experienced issues during the winter with their soft top?

2. Speaking of tops - I really like the Freedom top - seems like a great solution. Do they offer these tops on the 2013's at the dealer or is it a separate purchase? Anyone have/use these tops? They seem to be the best of both the soft and hard top.

3. Security - How durable are the lock boxes in the Wrangler? Are they flimsy or somewhat strong? Anyone try any alternative products for covering the rear cargo area?

4. Have any of you successfully gotten a dealer below invoice? I haven't bought brand new in years and I know the invoice price is usually the dealers lowest offer.

5. Are the 2012 engines the same as the 2013s? I figured if they are similar models, then why not try to get a lightly used 2012 if need be.

6. I intend on mainly using this truck as a DD. However, I do plan on doing some light-off roading. Anyone use this truck as a DD? How did you like it?

7. Parts - do you guys suggest getting parts/accessories straight from the dealer or should I look aftermarket? Please understand I've been driving a poorly put together GM truck for some years, so I'm used to crappy parts, plastics, etc.

8. May sound stupid BUT - if you do by chance get caught in a rain storm, is the material (seats, dash, etc.) some what water resistant?

Thanks all and I look forward to contributing more often!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:33 AM
JK Newbie

Welcome to the forum!

I'm a relatively new JK owner myself, but I'll try to give you at least a few answers.

1. I'm in Ohio, and I just have the hardtop. I definitely wanted the hardtop for winter, but I think it would have been nice to get the dual top option for running on bad days. Fortunately, this is a second vehicle for me, so I'm leaving the top off for summer and driving another vehicle when it rains. Sounds like you don't have that option, so you may want to think about dual tops.

2. I think the Freedom Top is the only hard top that comes on the JK these days. I might be wrong, though.

4. Join Tread Lightly with at least a $100 donation and you can get a Jeep at 1% under invoice. You must be a member for 30 days before you can get the discount. I did that, but ended up purchasing a Sahara that had 1000 miles on it (demo vehicle being driven by the service manager) and got mine at about 4.5% under invoice. I felt pretty good about that.

5. Same engine, but 2013 hopefully has the bugs worked out.

6. I had a 2001 Sportage as a DD for 12 years and loved it. Still have it. Full frame, short wheelbase, so similar experience. If my Jeep were my only vehicle, I'd have no problems using it as a DD.

8. You'll want water resistant/proof seatcovers as they are not water resistant. Do some searches for seat covers, but I've seen people like Wet Okole and Trek Armor. They're not cheap, though.

Enjoy when you buy it!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

First of all, welcome to the forum and good luck with your future JKU.

I just recently bought a 2013 JKU and had a 2011 JK before that. To answer some of your questions:

1. I am also in Ohio, but only have the soft top. I have never had a problem with the soft top. The heater in the JKs is pretty good. I have heard of people having no problems with the soft top where you are as well. I have though about getting the hard top, but for as much as it would cost, it is not worth it to me.

2. Yes the freedom top is the only hard top that comes with the JK.

3. The lockable glove box and center console are not going to keep someone determined from getting into them. With enough force, they could just break them since they are plastic. I have no experience with the lockable aftermarket products, but have heard they are way more secure than the stock JK. That will probably be one of my next mods.

4. I got way below the invoice price, but I also have the chrysler employee discount as well as the military discount, so that helps a lot. I know people have been pretty successful at getting the JKs below invoice. Like Dryver said, join treadlightly and that will immediately get you below invoice. Then you can negotiate from there.

5. 2012s have the same engine as 2013s (3.6L Pentastar). 2012 was the first year for that engine though...

6. I use my JKU as a DD and dont mind it at all. It has a lot better roa manners than my old JK and I used it as a DD as well. You wont have a problem with it.

7. Not sure what you are asking for this question. As far as mods, aftermarket is the way to go. They will have way better selection. If you want OEM replacement parts then the dealer is a good option as well.

8. I have been caught in a rain storm with no top or doors and dot worry about it too much. I just go straight home and put the JK in the garage. It will dry out. I have never gotten it completely soaked though. There are a lot of good seat covers though that are water resistant and look pretty sweet too!

Good luck with the purchase and enjoy!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the good info - Just wondering, how is the rear storage space? I'm going from having a pickup truck to a much smaller space area. It looks fairly large with the rear seats down. It'll take some adjusting I guess.

Quick Reply: Soon-to-be Buyer