Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Starting issues now exhaust issues

Old 01-19-2023, 02:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issues now exhaust issues

Hey all

New to the forum. First post. 2012 jk unlimited altitude edition. I’ve recently had a crank with no start issue. Been trying to figure it out fir a couple days. I can hear the fuel pump, battery is up, starter working fine. It almost wants to run but wouldn’t. Tonight I got it to fire up. Shut off and restart without issue. Now I see white smoke out the tailpipe that smells of rotten eggs. First thought head gasket. My question is an this be from all the cranking without it fireing up? Catalytic issue? Also gas line antifreeze was added two days ago if that matters. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

Full tank of gas with anti-freeze is fine. Methyl Hydrate works same and is about 10times cheaper. Rotten eggs points me to anti-freeze coolant getting into the combustion process and smell emenating from the CATs. Did you freeze up over there on the rock lately?
Welcome to JKF btw.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

It was 1/4 tank of fuel to a full 150ml bottle of gas line antifreeze. ( someone added before I got home) Haven’t had much cold weather but was rain and freezing rain the day it first wouldn’t start. I’m hoping it isn’t a head gasket gone. I was wondering if maybe the repeated cranking with no start may have filled the catalytic and now has to burn off? Or if the strong antifreeze to fuel ratio would cause the white smoke. I blew a head gasket in an old Ford and that smelled sweet. Not of rotten eggs or sulfer like it does now which I’m under the impression implies it’s cat related. I don’t wanna run to far if it’s a head gasket and I still have no idea why it was cranking with no start in the first place. Tomorrow In the daylight I will check oil dipstick and the rad cap for foam. Maybe run it up to temp and see if it’s still smoking then. Just don’t wanna cause any more damage.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Update

The dipstick oil looks ok. Down 1/2 a quart and probably in need of an oil change. Rad fluid looks as it should. It started without issue this morning and I let it come up to temp idling. Still smoking a bit from the tailpipe but not nearly as badly as last night. Smells lightly of sulfer still. Checked engine code and got a p0300. Only code showing. Gonna take it for a drive to the gas station and get more fuel in it. The code is for a misfire. Could be from excess fuel in the cylinder or bad spark plug.

does anyone have any thoughts or ideas? For the crank with no start issue? Stinky exhaust? Or p0300 code? Related in any way? Big issue or minor problem? All input welcome!
Old 01-20-2023, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Update #2

started fine. Drove to gas station. Fueled. Restarted fine. Made a trip around town twice. Ran fine, shifted fine, no flutter or poor running. No longer smoking. Returning home it Stalled/died at the intersection by the house and again will crank and not start. Towed back into the driveway. I should mention it’s an automatic. I’m leaning towards most of the issues from last night are resolved and nothing major. P0300 code has gone away. No codes showing at all again now. I have done a bit of research. Is this possible all related to a crankshaft position sensor? I have one ordered and should arrive by Monday or Tuesday. I’m no mechanic but can manage to hold my own most of the time. Still looking for any input.

side note. I’ve been the sole owner of this jeep and have had occasional stall/die issues in the last couple years but would only happen once every 4-5 months and kinda get forgotten about till it happened again. Usually wait couple mins fire up and carry on.

Last edited by Croucher; 01-20-2023 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

Update #3

Part arrived this morning. Replaced the crankshaft position sensor and Topped up 1/2 quart of engine oil. Started. Idled. Ran up to temp. Everything seems to be running as it should. Drove around town several times. Shut off and restart without issue. Drove around town again just now up hill and down. Idling through town and pushing it harder on the hiway. No apparent issues.

In summary. I’m getting the impression that the crank with no start issue as well as the random stall/die problem that I was having is all contributed to a bad crank sensor without throwing any codes. The issues I was having with the smoke, exhaust and p0300 code. I am chalking up to the amount of cranking with no start and the strong mixture of gas line antifreeze that was added.

I will monitor over the next few days before I head back to work and keep this thread updated to the situation for anyone else having similar problems.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought, But you said “gas line antifreeze was added before you got home”? Soo, someone else added the gas-line-antifreeze correct ?

Just wondering who added it and if maybe they added something other than gas-line-antifreeze by mistake ??

Quick Reply: Starting issues now exhaust issues