Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

TJ guy buys a JK.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TJ guy buys a JK.

After years of building, wheeling, and trailering my TJ, I wanted to set it up for flat towing again for non-wheeling trips.
Unfortunately, my TJ's stubby winch bumper has no room for added tow bar mounts, and the d-ring tabs are too close together.
My solution to this problem? I bought another Jeep! 2016 JK 2 door Sport. This will be my flat towing, mostly street Jeep.
I'm keeping the TJ for wheeling.
Empty pockets x 2.

The JK came with a lift, stock Sahara wheels and 35's. Still figuring things out. I've already added 1.5" wheel spacers Currie tow bar mount, and some grab bars for the wife. I'm sure I will have lots of questions.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

You got that antenna angled for perfect reception? Welcome to the JK family! Since it's already lifted, and since most folks who lift don't seem to account for caster correction, you might take note if you have some sort of caster correction installed on it already. I've towed my '13 JKUS 4-down for several years behind a motorhome. Works seamlessly.
The following users liked this post:
TJDave (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
You got that antenna angled for perfect reception? Welcome to the JK family! Since it's already lifted, and since most folks who lift don't seem to account for caster correction, you might take note if you have some sort of caster correction installed on it already. I've towed my '13 JKUS 4-down for several years behind a motorhome. Works seamlessly.
Yes! Radio reception mod compliments of the PO. Along with control arm rub with the stock wheels.
It has a RC 4" lift. Not sure what all came with it yet. It does have stock control arms, and I can tell just by looking at it that I have to get the wheels re-centered in the wheel wells. Pretty sure I'm going to drop it down to a 2.5 " lift of some sort. Recommendations?
Old 05-06-2019, 08:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

RC lifts at that height often have a drop pitman arm combined with an axle-side raised TB bracket. Most of us don't like the drop pitman, and choose to flip the drag link to the top of the knuckle instead. If you plan to lower to 2.5", you'll likely need to replace the drop pitman (if indeed it has one) with a factory unit, and remove that raised TB mount (again, if it has one).

A lot of those lifts use cam bolts as a means of caster correction. You might confirm if you have cam bolts installed in the axle's lower control arm mount. If not, adding control arm brackets ($90-$160 depending on manufacturer) are probably ideal for your situation, both if you stay at 4" or drop down to 2.5".
The following users liked this post:
TJDave (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 07:54 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Quick Reply: TJ guy buys a JK.