Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Weird clunk

Old 02-19-2020, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird clunk

I have a 2007 jk 2 door x I've been having this clunking/popping noise when i make sharp turns to either side while driving only and sometimes when stationary it pops very little, I've changed ball joints, u joints, new ring and pinion too put in a rubicon express drive shaft, new track bar( yes i know that a lot of parts to throw at it ) the thing is when i remove the drive shaft the noise goes away completely any ideas?
Old 02-19-2020, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonyba312
I have a 2007 jk 2 door x I've been having this clunking/popping noise when i make sharp turns to either side while driving only and sometimes when stationary it pops very little, I've changed ball joints, u joints, new ring and pinion too put in a rubicon express drive shaft, new track bar( yes i know that a lot of parts to throw at it ) the thing is when i remove the drive shaft the noise goes away completely any ideas?
Really sounds like U-Joints for sure, not sure how wheel bearings would cause this noise and go away with drive shaft removal.
How's the 4wd system? working correctly? Any issue found with the old U-Joints when you replaced them?
Old 02-19-2020, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dirt Hammer
Really sounds like U-Joints for sure, not sure how wheel bearings would cause this noise and go away with drive shaft removal.
How's the 4wd system? working correctly? Any issue found with the old U-Joints when you replaced them?
The old ones were in pretty bad shape and the 4x4 has no issues
Old 02-19-2020, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonyba312
The old ones were in pretty bad shape and the 4x4 has no issues
Did the noise change or sound different with the new U-Joints? Maybe a U-joint got damaged during install? Tight fit for the U-Joint end caps in the axle yokes?

Last edited by Dirt Hammer; 02-19-2020 at 12:31 PM. Reason: new info
Old 02-19-2020, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dirt Hammer
Did the noise change or sound different with the new U-Joints? Maybe a U-joint got damaged during install? Tight fit for the U-Joint end caps in the axle yokes?
at first there was a change it was louder but after a couple of days it went back to the same sound i will check them any play they might have

Quick Reply: Weird clunk