Notices
NorCal If you live in Northern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum Jeepers near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Gusset, Sleeve, CV Joint, how else can you increase the axle strength of Dana 44?

Old 09-05-2010, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Gusset, Sleeve, CV Joint, how else can you increase the axle strength of Dana 44?

I am about to have my gears done, and while I am under there jackin with the axle i want to go ahead and add strength to my stock Dana 44 Rubicon axles. I have heard of switching the U-joint axles for CV ones, gussets, and interna and external sleeves. So i would like to know what have others done, what is the most economical yet useful things i should consider.

Thanks for any assistance.

Huck271
Old 09-05-2010, 02:00 PM
JK Junkie

I personally, I would skip all the gussets and sleeves and get a ProRock 44 housing. Its stronger than a gusseted/sleeved D44 is. The housing will cost more than having the sleeves and gussets installed, but you wont ever have to worry about strength.

Doing what you want will help for sure, but the sleeves are not going to help that much unless they are a press fit, which they aren't. This also doesn't address the thinner material in the center section compared to older D44's, or the ProRock D44.

The RCV's are awesome though. Not only are they quite a bit stronger, but you get a MCUH better turning radius with them, as there is no U-Joint to bind up.

But I guess it all comes down to what size tire you plan on running and how much money you have on hand
Old 09-05-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

I plan on running 37s.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as soon as the guys from ORE get back from their JK experience, i'm having them install their sleeves, c-gussets and lower control arm skids. a pro rock 44 would be nice but i couldn't afford to go that route right now.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

Default Re: Gusset, Sleeve, CV Joint, how else can you increase the axle strength of Dana 44?

How much for all that and where are they located?

Huck271 on my new EVO

2010 Rubicon Unlimited
Old 09-08-2010, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

can't give you an exact amount cause i'm having other work done as well. Off Road Evolution is down in fullerton. i know others on here can do the same work for way cheaper tho. i was originally gonna have David with Alpha Expedition do the welding for me.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Save your money

Its a scam! Save your money for IF it breaks.
A Dana 60 costs way to much to be "preventative", for something that rarely happens.

Quick Reply: Gusset, Sleeve, CV Joint, how else can you increase the axle strength of Dana 44?