Notices
NorCal If you live in Northern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum Jeepers near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Nor Cal What was done to your JK this week ???

Old 03-08-2012, 01:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by atomthompson
I actually found it easier to run the positive wire to the battery than to hook it up that way. It's tough to get at those wires. (I was probably doing it wrong) The neg wire can connect directly to the ground next to what would be the passenger side door, just under the limiting strap. Not sure which side it would be on yours. Figure out where you'll put it? Mine's been comfortable hooked up through the one exposed screw on the side of the center console down by the gear select.

P.S. sorry for still hanging out in this part of the forum. It's still the best!
It probably depends on whether you'd want a switched power source or a constant power source. The ground should be a chassis ground rather than a floating ground in either case...
Old 03-08-2012, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
It probably depends on whether you'd want a switched power source or a constant power source. The ground should be a chassis ground rather than a floating ground in either case...
Good point! I forgot wanting it switched was the original reason I tried to use the cig hookup first. And that ground point is a main one that's very easy to get to. Hide both wires up under the glove box area with some zip ties.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Added a 3/4 spacer to the front, XM 6 disk radio, half doors, and spark plugs. E3s lasted less than a year.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually found it easier to run the positive wire to the battery than to hook it up that way. It's tough to get at those wires. (I was probably doing it wrong) The neg wire can connect directly to the ground next to what would be the passenger side door, just under the limiting strap. Not sure which side it would be on yours. Figure out where you'll put it? Mine's been comfortable hooked up through the one exposed screw on the side of the center console down by the gear select.

P.S. sorry for still hanging out in this part of the forum. It's still the best!
I see it as 12vdc is 12vdc. The cig lighter outlet is switched with the ignition and the other is constant voltage... If I hook it up to the switched outlet will I lose my Memory channels every time I turn the ignition off? I think I will...

Also does the antenna mount need to be grounded or is the antenna supposed to be grounded?

Oh and troll in here all day Atom! You are always welcome in NorCal!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RHD-Manx2
I see it as 12vdc is 12vdc. The cig lighter outlet is switched with the ignition and the other is constant voltage... If I hook it up to the switched outlet will I lose my Memory channels every time I turn the ignition off? I think I will...

Also does the antenna mount need to be grounded or is the antenna supposed to be grounded?

Oh and troll in here all day Atom! You are always welcome in NorCal!
Thanks! And I'm not too sure about your particular radio. You can always test it out by hooking it up directly to the battery, setting a channel, un-hook it, and then reconnect it to find out. Also I know in mine there's a switched and non-switched cig lighter.

Not too sure about the antenna either. I didn't ground mine at all and it works great. Good luck with the install.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ninjamaster
Is this the smittybuilt bumper? Looks mean! And I like the placement of the lights. Hardly notice them unless you're looking for them.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Technically I'm in Cen Cal now but I stay in the Nor Cal section. It's too bad I found out you lived right down the street right when we both moved. I could have used your hands so many times last year!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is this the smittybuilt bumper? Looks mean! And I like the placement of the lights. Hardly notice them unless you're looking for them.
Sure is! I mounted the Rigid Duallys in those factory drilled holes. Someone in another thread said rocks may kick up from the tires and hit the lights. I guess we shall see. Rigid Dually LED's rock btw, if you're on the fence just do it!
Old 03-09-2012, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mficarelli

How much of a difference did the tuner make? What tires/gears are you running?
I got a 2010 rubi with stock 4:10s, stock rubi rims and tires (waiting for 35s). as for the SC tuner, I can definitely tell the difference on the start. Before when I punch it, it was slow to go. You can hear the engine howl and the jeep moving slowly. Also it shifts at very high rpm. On the freeway trying to pass, it would scream where I can really hear it with windows closed. Now, it seems like it shift much smoother. Can barely hear it when I try to pass on freeway. If I tap on the gas, it feels like wanting to jump. very quick on the first and second gear. Over all, I can really tell the difference on the power and my mileage stayed the same.

Quick Reply: Nor Cal What was done to your JK this week ???