Notices
NorCal If you live in Northern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum Jeepers near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Pichacho Peak vs. Hollister Hills

Old 12-29-2008, 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pichacho Peak vs. Hollister Hills

I was wondering who has experience at Pichacho Peak and I was wondering how PP compares to HH?

I was looking at the maps on trails.com and there are hundreds and hundreds of trails/areas (PP and HH are just 2). I don't even know where to begin, but on the list is:

Pichacho Peak
Diamond Mountains Trail
Miami Trail
Grizzly Peak

If anyone has experience with these, please speak up!!

Thanks,
~jk
Old 12-29-2008, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Hollister is a lot of fun. I'm out there about once a month. If you know how to drive you can make almost every trail in Hollister. About 3pm is the best in Hollister....lots of knuckleheads looking to show off.

Trails in Hollister, The Jungle, White Rock, Bonanza Gulch, Truck Hill, Five Finger (when its open), and the two obstacle course will keep you happy.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've actually been to HH twice so I have an idea of what to expect there. I only had a Liberty so I obviously couldn't see most of the park. I'm really curious about Pichacho Peak, since I haven't even seen it. From the reviews I've read online it seems like it's a great place for wheelin', but there's only about 2 posts on this entire site about it..

Last edited by JeepingGreen; 12-29-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, you're right. It is the Clear Creak area. I just didn't notice it before. Pichacho Peak is what trails.com and "Funtreks" refer to it as.

I also noticed the posting about the emergency closing. How does it compare to HH? Is it larger, harder, easier, more/less trails, etc?

I apologize if I missed a better description. At work right now and not much time to browse the site :(
Old 12-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

Pichacho Peak/Clear Creek is mainly for ATV and dirt bikes. It is a great place to learn how to use GPS tracking and etc (some people I know were lost for about 3 hrs), it is mainly dirt roads and a great place to get custom pin strips on dark paint. Clear Creek is also a public land where you can do target practice anywhere within the safety zone.

The closure is due to the high amount of nature asbestos in the area. I was there about 3 month prior of the closure.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, good to know (about the pinstriping). The trail review mentioned "bushy outcrops" and it also mentioned what you said about getting lost (it said something about a maze of trails)... I think I'll just stick to HH for now..

Quick Reply: Pichacho Peak vs. Hollister Hills