Notices

Black Bear Pass - when does it open?

Old 02-28-2017, 11:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Bear Pass - when does it open?

Im planning a trip to CO this summer and one thing on my list is to do Black Bear Pass near Telluride. I'll plan my trip around when this opens. Can anybody give me an approximate date that it usually opens?
Old 03-01-2017, 06:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

I was up there in 2015. My understanding is they try to open it for July 4th weekend, weather permitting. I was up there the end of June in '15 and there was still a good bit of snow. You couldn't get very far up Black Bear at all before snow would stop you. They had Imogene plowed about up to the top, but you couldn't pass. Some of the others were plowed to the top, and some were completely passable. If you want the full experience, shoot for July 4th or later.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, thats about what I expected. My wife will be with me so I'm trying to get up there around the peak of the wildflower bloom. I was up there about ten years ago in my old TJ and I got to the top and chickened out at the top, I have a severe fear of heights. That has haunted me ever since. I have a
JK now thats built up much better now so this time we're doing it so I can check it off my list.

Quick Reply: Black Bear Pass - when does it open?